Orc

After 10 months of my last work, I finally got the will to make another piece of work, this took me 4 days in the making and about 4 hours rendering :/, because the long time without using blender I committed a lots of mistakes here; for example for bad decisions I ended with a fairly high poly count, that made Blender go really slow even tough I have a 6x cores at 4Ghz AMD processor, now I understand why Doris has to finish his dyntopo works in zbrush…, also this version of Blender (2.70a) crased on me a lot, and for some reason I could not have rigify to work properly, so I had to rig and pose it manually, well, here it is.

Edit: Taking in consideration what people suggested here is a second render, feel free to share your thoughts.

Remember to double click for full size.

Original render.

Model and textures look pretty fine, but render is really lacking in terms of feeling and artistic value. I feel like lightning is too flat and current background doesnt really add anything to this piece. With some proper post processing and tweaking scene and lightning you could archieve A LOT more visually appealing result!

If you dont mind, heres fast recomp in photoshop to demonstrate this

jjjuho’s recomp also helps with the contrast between the axe and the background. Originally the axe was very hard to see properly.

I think the axe blade should be a slight shiny of a material, but besides that I like it. Good job!

Thanks for the feedback people, Jjjuho, you are right, that’s my problem when I try to enter into the artistic realm, I will use the given feedback to improve the value of this render, so all be free to express your opinion.

en adición a lo que te han dicho jjuho y Richard, creo que también deberias intentar colocarle brillos al personaje, es muy dificil verle los detalles de la piel.

in addition to what they have said jjuho and Richard, I believe also you will try put shines to character, is very hard see the skin details.

Hi José Perez, a lot of the skin details are eaten by the SSS, that shader decimates a lot of details, but I will increment the contrast of the image so some details pop up, right now I am rendering another try, with the corrections people have pointed out, but for me render times are awful, because I have to rely in pure processor power, so when it finishes rendering I will post it :’(.

Edit: well 2 hours later, I uploaded the new render in the main post.

So, no more comments, is it better the second render?, another thing I can improve?.

I’m bad at lighting but I am interested in the topology of the mesh, is it possible to have a few renders of the wires?

great work, i’m new to blender and to 3d basically. and it’s frustrating to get out of my 2d comfort zone… so my comment may not hold any level of authority on the software and it’s techniques . … but here goes, the character lacks translucency and that organic lizard skin feel to it, if that’s what your going for. And i would suggest also to work on the expression to give the character a feel…or should i say fierce and over powering presence instead of his blank stare… but all in all awesome job, i hope i can achieve this level of skill soon. cheers mate

@Killa2471 Man when I was modeling this, I really messed the mesh, so I suspect the wires are not going to help you, but if you want a good mesh tutorial you should look at this pack of mesh tutorial, and for lightning you should check this tutorial.

@navybrat you don’t need to be an expert on a specific matter to know what can be improved, I made another render to make the orc to look angry (or at least that is what I hope), about the skin, I think orcs are mammals, for that reason I used human skin as reference, about the translucency, I can’t do any more, the SSS shader eats a lot of details and changes the color and even the texture feel to much, I am already using the SSS, but if I increment it more, the result is a mess.

Thanks for you comments.

ohh no I don’t need mesh tutorials haha, was just wanting to have a look, blender 2.7 has the wire modify now, that makes rendering geometry for showcase much better, as for lighting, its more the nodes that I need practise with.

I tried to use the wire modify, but how I said in the main post, I ended with a high poly count, so when I used the modifier it became a real mess, and taking a screenshot of the edit windows, it won’t do it either, because you can not distinguish one face from other.

perdon por no haber contestado a tiempo :s.

Con el contraste ya se resaltan mucho más los detalles, y la imagen se ve menos sofocante, yo creo que esta imagen te dejo algo agobiado, y tambien e sufrido los mismos problemas con el sss, aveces poner un shader más de brillos con el nodo de mapa de normales conectado sirve de apoyo para que la trasluminicencia no consuma los microdetalles, o incluso alterando los colores como hiciste ahora añadiendole contraste a la imagen.

mucha energia para los siguientes proyectos, saludos!

sorry for not responce to time :S.

With the contrast the details looks much better, and the image looks less suffocating, I think this work leave you some exhausted, and I also suffered the same problems with the sss, sometimes put over glossy shader with normal map node connected provides support for the sss not consume the micro-details, or even altering the colors as you did now adding contrast to the image.

much energy for the following projects, Greetings!

Good work, I like it very much!

Thanks people.