Little help smoothing some geometry?

Having some trouble visualizing a way to model this area where it blends in, the result does not subsurf as perfectly as I would like, and the form is not that unusual for a hard surface subject…
Anyway I thought maybe someone here would know a creative way to model this to give smoother results. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

Helmet_Chinstrap_BA.blend (873 KB)

This is a little better but still hoping to get some magic solution from you guys!

ok so that area looks like its being affected by having a 6 sided pole, also you have an Ngon in the front of the chin guard right before the corner, so what can be done about these 6 sided poles. I’m not an expert at topology so its going to take me a little bit to rework the area down to atleast a 5 sided pole and probably a diamond or something, and for the chin guard its merely that you have 2 lines going across on the upper side that stop not going down and around towards the bottom, so a diamond or 2 should take care of this. check out the meshlint addon on, it ends up at the bottom of the vertex group list and you can use it to check for strange topology, pretty useful for this kind of thing.
Edit: Ok I think this solution will work for you, basically the edge loops were crazy in that area this should be the .blend file of the fixed topology. some reason my picture wasn’t being accepted by BA, first time that has happened to me so I’ll work on getting that working.
Helmet_Chinstrap_BA_fix.blend (897 KB)

Thanks for looking - only 5poles and quads though! I don’t think it can be made any better… here’s the newest Blend. It’s just the lower right quarter part of a larger model of course so don’t look at the ends where I just cut and filled hastily. (That ngon at the end isn’t important and anyway it’s easily fixed by connecting two of its verts together). It’s just that part where the edge gets thin and fades into the curved large surface…

Attachments

Helmet_Chinstrap_BA.blend (877 KB)

Edit : The points in the original file are 6 sided, I didn’t notice that your 2nd screen shot had actually fixed these into 5 sided. It looks like a nice fix up, what do you find unpleasing in your fix?
Edit: well this isnt really needed anymore

I have made an attempt, though it’s difficult to get a real smooth surface where the additional (not looping) vertices are, but it could be solved adding a vertical loop I think.

Helmet_Chinstrap_BA-1.blend (193 KB)

paolo

Thanks to both of you, Ishi, I appreciate seeing that your solution was pretty much the same as mine,so I did need to see your input, thanks for your time!
Paolo, I did try that but I was trying to keep it all quads because the triangles gave me some smoothing probs because of where it was, but I do like the more regular geometry so it’s a hard decision sometimes…thanks again!

I know, the all-quads-rule is fine, though there are cases in which a triangle in the right place is what is needed.
Not to say that mine is the best solution here, but since your object is rigid, not deformable, what matters is how it looks after all.
But you are better than me at topology.

Cheers,
paolo