WIP Tidus from final fantasy

So another project for me to sink my teeth in to, this will be a tough one, ive decided to go for Tidus from Final fantasy

This project is going to take a lot of time, and push me to learn new things just as i did with my car WIP

the difference is this time i do not have much confidence with my ability to do the face, the rest should be fine, so we will see how i get on

I will require continuous feedback, and possibly even some advice when i really get started

here is the image i have started with, i loaded it up with Gimp to make sure they allign and although its not perfect it will definately do

Good luck! Nice project.
I’m replaying FF10 on my ps2 (I never finished that game… Shame on me ah ah, I finally have 3 ultimate weapons (Tidus/Auron/Wakka) :smiley:
My favorite Final Fantasy is the 8, everything was good and (if I remember well) there was much more monsters in FF8.
I found some topics of people who wanted to create a turn based RPG with the community but nothing has been done… I’d like to do a turn based RPG, but I’m only able to do :

• environments
  • people/monster (but for the human I should work harder, I only did cartoon human…)
    Well anyway, it’s something we could do, a turn based RPG… The hardest thing is the scrypt/coding. Well I know that’s not the subject :o

lol :slight_smile: its ok, FF8 was good but a little too easy xD all you had to do was not train up and get the correct magic, which would make you a higher power level, and your opponents are lower level because your base level is low, then when you get to the end, fight a monster that cant attack you, cast level up a few times making it 99 and you go up a level prety much every battle

anyways back to the project :slight_smile: would love to do a RPG some day but doubt i shall be doing that with this character, cant afford the sue for copywrite lol

ok so i think its going ok currently, havent really done much with it just yet, started down the contour of the face and have made it to the tip of the nose, so now my first challenge arrives, as you can see, the side view is at the tip of the nose but the face is slightly slanted upward and so its not exactly matching up with the front, :frowning:
changed the viewport color to resemble the image hoping it might make it easier for me to see the shadows and such around the face easier

Yeah sure. I mean a new RPG based on what we like.
The 13 was also easy. It was a good FF, but I prefer turn based RPG, it’s more strategic and… I’m maybe nostalgic!:smiley:

Actually I have a project, my first real 3D animation. I didn’t post my work for while… And I get enough of my old computer… I should certainly work with Cycle render instead of Blender render, I heard it does use the power of the graphic card instead of CPU (so the render are faster), but I’m not ready to work with Cycle render… It seems too complicated and long ah ah

Nice job so far. I made Sora from kingdom hearts last year and I used the same strategy that you are using for the head (using different photos lined up as close as possible and tracing the contours of the face). I found that while it may have looked somewhat like the references in orthographic mode, it looked like a mess in perspective. I ended up redoing the head using a tutorial from blender cookie, it worked perfectly for this type of character. Take a look at it and see if its any help.

If you want to see the difference between how I did it originally and what i came up with after following the tutorial check out post #15 from my WIP.

Anyways good luck, ill be following your progress.

no update yet, really struggling to get a nose that im happy with lol, i might just go around it for now and get the rest of the face sorted before i continue

ok so i did the nose without the sides just yet, and mapped around the mouth area to find, the front view definately is not a good enough reference pic, basically with his head not completely straight i cant just follow the references, so now i gotta go back to the drawing board and try to invent a outline of the face based on the side view

anyways this is how it currently looks

ok so still havent decided how im going to do the nose or mouth so im working on the curve of the face, its coming along ok, but at some point im going to need to adjust the vertices to this guys shape, which means finding a better picture of him from the front, if anybody has one feel free to post it so i can check it out

ok so still have a lot of things to figure out but its kinda working out just now, finally added the rest of the nose and started checking refereces for the proportions of the human head, they seem prety much spot on, just need to finish the rest of the bottom of the face, and the side for the cheeks once all that is done i can finally find a accurate front face and try to mould his face shape a little better

well ive done quite a bit of work, im not exactly happy with the flow of the face, but im trying to work on it a bit more before fixing the complete shape

Have you tried sculpting the face, and then doing retopo? I find its easier to get the right shapes going that way. Otherwise, I find it hard to have to worry about both topolgy, and shape at the same time.

i havent tried that yet, need to figure out about sculpting, part of the reason i stopped= updating this rescently was because it was average, and i was hugely unhappy with the topology, but i saw people scult and i have no clue how that is done

after looking a little into sculpting i have made a mini attempt, its only the start but at least its getting somewhere and some advice on how i can improve would not go a miss

I’d suggest taking a quick break from your ultimate goal and running through this tutorial.

Sculpting, unfortunately, just takes loads of practice. I used to do a head sculpt each day for a few weeks until I was even vaguely pleased with the result. Use LOTS of reference shots, not just front and profile. Also if you’re more interested in the technical side of human facial anatomy then I would recommend any of the books by Andrew Loomis for how to draw faces.

haha thanks for the feedback, this was actually the video i was taking it from, and it was going well till i had to put the real details in xD
i guess it just takes practise for the likes of the cheek bones the nose, even the eyes because if you jump too early its going to mess them all up

played about with the sculpting tool today, just a bit or youtube vids on how it worked and then played about with the tools that i had learned

my gf says he looks like a lumberjack xD

another trial run, but this time with more seriousness testing things out in the messing about phase with the tools