Lighting advice

Hello!
I’m making some indoor scenes, and I could do with some advice on the lighting.
There can’t be any “natural” lighting, because I’m not making any windows in the scenes, and I’m having trouble making good lighting coming only from lamps.

In this scene i gave the lamp an emission shader, and added a point lamp under it.

Any suggestions?

When ever lighting a scene, think where the light is coming from. You only have one light in this scene, but that light is not being directed, in other words its lighting up the whole scene, which wouldn’t happen. Try using a spot light, pointing down, and buffer it up, or make it really soft. You can play with this in the light tab. So restrict the spot, and add a hemi or other at half of the default… Maybe .500 or so or less. You can light up the side walls, while still having a vision on the door. Currently there is no depth, so you can fix that in lighting. Its just a matter of googling lighting and practice. Good start though. Nice texture. Lighting is so important. Its sort of like sound in a video. Lighting can speak wonders.

Thanks for the replies!
I think it got better. If you see any other flaws please speak! :slight_smile:

much nicer!
Now the composition looks more focused and the overall tone more intriguing.
My only comment is that maybe the shadow of the lamp shade should cross the top of the door a bit…

Lighting is better but for my tastes is not yet convincing (if should come only from that little lamp, as matt said); take a look at this http://www.dphotographer.co.uk/users/13798/thm1024/corridor.jpg here you can notice there is much more contrast between lit and dark areas…some compositing (glare,etc) can help with that.

Here other suggestions, not about lighting, discard them if not needed :wink: :
texturing is fine, you can add some objects to partially hide the intersection between the floor and the wall, that part is alwais a bit tricky…(then there is a “decal” repeating at right wall and at left of the door, but is not really that noticeable to be changed).
If this is for an animation the image proportions are ok, otherwise i would try with more squared proportions…you can also try with different camera focal lenghts.
I don’t understand about the scene: where is it? It’s a house, just a simple corridor? Why all that deadlocks? Some more objects can help with that…