how do i model a square sail in 2.69

and it has to have a picture all over it.
i tried proportional editing and warping but just got weird results.
i am sure cloth and wind effects are beyond me.
it is staionery.
thanks all

Attachments

Cloth it is so you will have to…
But it’s easy and not hard on resources.
Have plane in edit mode sized by proportions of sale, no need so far to scale different lengths for upper and lower edges.
Loopcut so that you get two faces close to square shape - Cloth loves to work on squares. Subdivide plane some more: 4 or even 6.
Select upper and lower edge vertices and assign them to Group.
Add Subsurf mod.
Add Cloth and set Pinning to Group you created. Set animation for some 100 or so frames, hit Alt-A and adjust Cloth values while observing animation. For this you generally want to increase weight and lower Spring, Stiffness.
When done, stop animation, choose frame you like by sliding marker on Time line and Apply Cloth in Modifiers tab.
A bit of proportional scaling of sides, done.

thanks
please explain “Add Cloth and set Pinning to Group you created”
remember i aint as smart!

i do not even begin to understand what these mean.
-Loopcut so that you get two faces close to square shape
-Select upper and lower edge vertices and assign them to Group

i will understand if this is too much trouble for you
thanks

try this method if you dont want to figure out cloth, add plane, use mirror and subdivision modifier, then in edit mode manipulate one side of the plane so that it is gets mirrored evenly across the origin, then using loop cut and slide you can turn the plane into a curved sheet like object

thanks
then using loop cut and slide you can turn the plane into a curved sheet like object- HOW!!!

Ok so you have your default mesh plane, go into edit mode (tab), and select verticies from the ctrl + tab menu that’s brought up, working from top view might be the easiest to start with and move the two verts that go across the Y axis and movethem along the x so that they are pretty much ontop of the y axis line. This way the mirror modifier that you will now make will mirror along the x axis half of the sail. turning on the clipping option of that modifier and moving the same 2 verts to lock them in with the mirrored geometry. then you’ll want a horrizontal edge in the middle of the plane using the loop cut and slide tool (ctrl + R) and move the newly generated edge to slightly lower than the middle and then grab it and move along the Z axis. by putting a subdiv modifier and 3 or so subdivs will make this jagged shape pretty smooth and you can add more edges and manipulate them to create the desired shape. Edit: I should add in here that ALT right click selects an entire loop whether you’re on vertex edge or face select mode, very useful when you need to move an entire line at once.

I chose to show this in wireframe mode so that the edges that go underneath and toward the center of the model are shown but you can see what the subsurf modifier is doing with the light gray wireframe, I also added a solidify modifier with a small thichness value to give it some depth from the side and an array moddifier with object offset of an empty to create slightly larger sales similar to your picture but decided to hide that modifier in the screenshot so the sail’s design could more easily be seen

thanks guys but i shaped it with warp and the shape is okay.
but how do i get the picture on it using UV?

Attachments

SAIL.blend (1.5 MB)

Ok, there are certain things, their names and shortcuts you just have to know to work in Blender. Loopcut, dividing quad face or consecutive row of quad faces around some object, Ctrl-r shortcut, is one of them.

Here is a video showing real time attempt (some errors included) to create what i described earlier. No voice over, no shortcuts either, pardon me - forgot to switch on. If you want - watch and ask if something is not clear.

You have a lots of faces in this - not good for the modeling, can be good for sculpting ;).

The idea is to tell blender how to distort image so that it looks as if it was stretched and glued on some 3d shape.
It’s done starting from opposite - 3d shape is flattened out and stretched so that it best fits already flat image and is called UV unwrap. Half of it you’ve done - mesh representation is on the image in the UV editor. Now scale it there so that it covers part of image you want.
The rest is to tell blender to use Material and Texture- image you have in UV editor. This is done by briefly checking on Materials tab if you have Material created and next on Texture tab choose Image as a texture type, location of that image file and set it to use UV coordinates a bit lower - where it says Mapping (it’s Generated by default).

retopology can be quite useful in making such things. if you make a UV sphere, then flatten it with the scaling widget somewhat, then add a grid above it, and use surface snapping to smoosh the grid onto the surface of the sphere, it will give you a nice sail shape. you don’t have to use a UV sphere as the basis of course. You can subsurface a cube, and manipulate it until it’s the right shape.

thanks eppo for the tip about the uv selection instead of generated.
i am sooooo close to getting this to work!
but maybe i have not unwraped it correctly.
the temp picture and the sail are the same size and shape.
but it don’t fit!
thanks

Attachments

problem solved.
attached works.
thanks all

Attachments

sail2.blend (557 KB)