What is the perfect headphone/earphone for audiophiles?

I am looking for balanced bass and treble so that you don’t need to use an equalizer.

I use the Sony Walkman headphones that come w/the Walkman NWZ-E475. I’m not sure if you can get them by themselves, but their EQ is really great.

Does this help? http://gadgetshow.channel5.com/gadgets/audio-video/hi-fi/headphones-headsets
Personally, I love my Sennheiser headphones that I’ve had for about 6 years. Very comfortable and they haven’t broken; unlike the cheap crap I’ve had before, which broke in less than 3 months.

Honestly, have a 15 year old pair of Jensens that I paid $30 for and they still work perfectly and have great sound. Personally I dislike earbuds - head phones/muffs always sound richer to me. If you like rich bass and mids, make sure the frequency on them goes at least as low as 40Hz - (20 or 30 is even better). The upper limit of hearing is somewhere around 20k Hz so avoid any sets that top out to low - 16 to 18K would be the lowest I would think.

Some of us here 'round Nashville, TN might say that "no headphones can provide “the perfect sound,” simply because it really isn’t possible to produce an ear-mounted speaker that will adequately reproduce bass tones. The only way to do it is with a carefully-balanced room, in which are positioned “reference” speakers that cost … well, how much $$$ do you want to spend? :rolleyes:

However, a pretty good bet is to shoot for headphones that call themselves “studio reference headphones,” then listen to them while they are playing a challenging (e.g. “classical”) recording that you know very well. Decide for yourself how well you like them. And, get to know what it is that this particular set of 'phones cannot do. Weigh this, to the satisfaction of your own ears and your own taste, against what it can do.

If you decide that you really need “a $400 set of headphones,” spend the money. Choose “wisely for you.”

About thirty-odd years ago, my (still!!) wife helped me buy a stereo, a set of speakers, and what was at that time a very novel product … a compact disc. :eek: (Which I still own.) She talked me out of spending a bunch of money on the amplifier and persuaded me to invest the money in speakers, instead. (I also still have those speakers.) “All speakers are a technical compromise,” she said, sagely. “Your personal question is: what, for you, is an acceptable compromise?”

I have struggled – and, usually failed – to listen to her ever since. :rolleyes: (So far, I seem to have been “an acceptable compromise,” but “stay tuned.”)

I’ll try those out. I am also looking for a durable one where when you fall asleep while listening to music you won’t damage the cord.

I was gonna buy wireless ones but I found out that they use separate batteries.