Blender 2.80 release date/year

Hi. I am wondering when Blender 2.80 will be released. In the Blender 2.7x, there won’t a significant UI improvement, but in 2.8x, there could be a complete UI remake.

We are on Blender 2.70 and you are already whining for 2.80 using everyone’s favorite excuse for why 7.5 billion users are not using Blender.

Personally I would assume that a “complete UI remake” is not something that would be seen until Blender 3. I can see UI tweaks and changes but not a complete remake.

You DO know that even if you wait the ~2 years it will take for Blender 2.8 to be released there is no official UI design planned yet right? The one you linked to is just a “I wish Blender looked like this” design and it is almost 100% certain that Blender 2.8 won’t look even remotely like that.

just check http://code.blender.org/index.php/2013/06/blender-roadmap-2-7-2-8-and-beyond/

I’ve heard it on good authority it will be released on February 16th 2016, put it in your diary.

I’m glad you find it valuable but it’s a early proposal, much stuff to be addressed still, I’m not in the ui team and last but not least people tends to refuse quite easily Ui changes. It’s too early to drop it on the table I must invest a lot of time on it to be considered, that’s why I haven’t opened a dedicated thread.

Edit: just to be clear enough, is nothing official, but personal research to find out new ways of interaction and to unclutter the space available, trying to retain the current blender flexibility. But again, nothing official.

yes, complete UI remake is must. we need new UI
cant wait to 2.8!
XD

Here I was thinking this would be a “guess the date” game. Though it looks like Richard Marklew has some inside info. :smiley:

that’s 10 x 4 months. probably around 40 months from now god willing !

just enjoy 2.70>2.71 development for now there’s no point in thinking to much ahead !

I don’t like the mockup MarcoG_ita did…
My favourite mockup is made by Brecht.

Ample time for you to become a Python expert and write your own UI!! After all, everyone could just decide that the UI works well with only small changes, and then you could be there with everything all coded and ready.

Yes freemind, this mockup is really good ! I really like it !

Enough threads about the damn UI!!! Nobody likes these proposals, they’re just mockups made to look pretty, not something that evolved from a real need. You can easily pick them apart if you look at them up close, for example freemind’s picture is a mishmash where some editors have changed into tabs and others that haven’t. The transform mode is expanded for some unknown reason and important 3DView-related menus are missing… What’s in these proposals that’s so much better than what we have now?

I find pretty unfair to keep this thread going since takes me in a difficult position, the OP posted a link of mine as mostly the main topic, and i’m well aware how these stuff can derail into unuseful flames with retarded posts, and so i really hope it will be closed sooner as possible, nothing constructive or valuable can come out from here imho.

@Freemind

I don’t like the mockup MarcoG_ita did…
My favourite mockup is made by Brecht.

Please continue, your arguments are so detailed that I can’t stop reading to learn something new everyday. If you prefer other ideas, push for them, if you think i’m here for a UI competition you’re really far away from reality …I don’t like / i likederp.

@Pesho

Nobody likes these proposals, they’re just mockups made to look pretty, not something that evolved from a real need. You can easily pick them apart if you look at them up close, for example freemind’s picture is a mishmash where some editors have changed into tabs and others that haven’t. The transform mode is expanded for some unknown reason and important 3DView-related menus are missing… What’s in these proposals that’s so much better than what we have now?

Both Pawel mockup of Brecht proposal and mine are “something that evolved from a real need”, read better the proposals before throwing shit at them, and share what you think that wouldn’t work…your “nobody likes these proposal” is just crazy since you can’t judge what people likes or not, and if you knew your facts before posting, top layout tabs have started to be patched (early implementation), and one of the main dev already replied they are a good start and gave suggestions.
Lastly, speaking about mine, it’s everything except visual style, that is an interaction idea, i can make it with a dozen different sleek graphic if i need to.

Now i think my fault has been to drop a proposal, looking for valid feedback, in a forum where people is able to create a thread with 445 posts entitled “New Vertical Tabs Are Hard To Read”.

Although far off it is still nice to see someone excited about the future of Blender, and were it “could” go. It’s great to see new ideas, and creative solutions… it is also nice to have those that don’t want any changes as well as they keep things grounded. Belittling someones excitement, ideas, or contentment isn’t productive. We are all excited about Blender currently, and excited to see where blender will go in the future. The worst thing we can do is tear that excitement from someone.

Yes, it’s unfair to put Marco on the spot by keeping the thread going, all he did was make a proposal… not the only one, and a fairly modest proposal compared to some of the others…
I vote death to the thread.

Yes…I agree with you. I didn’t want to put it in this situation…sorry pal. Just to highlight a UI model that I like and admire and ask about 2.80 implementation date . I was probably too excited… I ask the Moderator to close/delete this thread. When your proposal is ready, I would really like to see it. This thread was never meant to be the , official thread’’. Please continue to work on your ideas, regardless of people opinions. Sorry again for linking your proposal.
At least, we know that Blender 2.80 will be released in February 2016. As Ton said, a total new UI would mean a complete code rewrite/or almost complete http://code.blender.org/index.php/2013/10/redefining-blender/ . Combined with roadmap, that states that in Blender 2.70 cycle will not bring a big UI improvement…I guessed that there are plans for 2.80 , and wanted to know when could that change be. I don’t belive Blender Foundation would wait 6 years for Blender 3, due to massive UI redesign requests, so 2.80 is a more plausible cycle.

Thanks for understanding, it wasn’t meant to be an attack to your original post, again i’m glad you find it nice, but around here such threads are difficult to bring nice discussions.

Ona side note, keep in mind February 2016 was ironic and not real. The only true info we have about Blender roadmap is on that blog post from Ton. No dates.

yeeeaaaaah, about that…