High rpm objects (like propellers) and motion blur

Hi,
I’m trying to make a loop animation of a rotating fan so that it looks like it’s spinning very fast. This seems trivial – just make a ROT animation, cycle it, and activate motion blur. The problem is that I only get skips, not full motion. It’s not the only moving part, either, so I can’t bump the motion blur up to 10, I have to keep it at a moderate value. This may have something to do with subframes, but I couldn’t google anything useful relating to this…

I’m attaching the file that I thought should work if I bumped up the amount of rotations sufficiently (it doesn’t).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

ft3.blend (566 KB)

I never use real geometry for my propellors because temporal undersampling will always produce bad results for any kind of calculated motion blur, even if you use extreme settings. Instead, use a textured disk with a slow rotation and an opacity flicker. Create your propellor texture by using a radial blur on on a regular propellor, then make sure to render with an alpha channel. It looks better to me to have the texture rotating in the opposite direction that it should be spinning, but that’s just me. The opacity flicker is also optional, but I feel it gives it a bit more life.

Zeke Faust:
I’ll probably use your method, though that limits some slow-motion tricks I’d planned on doing. I wanted to transition to super-slow-motion at some point and show dust particles flying through the propellers, which requires real geometry. From what I can tell, the only way to do this is render the animation at an absurd fps value, which would likely take days.
Thanks for the tip, I’ll see how well I can implement the effect.