Bandits Crossing

I found this snapshot of a very old good video game on Google image search and decided to re-create the whole level with Blender Cycles animation.

Nice drawing style by the way.Nice sky color too.

What I have done so far:

hey love the drawing style that is done in my books! :slight_smile:

Jason Kelly
CEO at
Atomic Level Gaming Studio

Yeah that game design art is cool. I was searching the web for the level mesh but I found none so I will just make it taking snapshots from the game.

I am planning to use procedural textures for the whole scene. I wonder if it slowdown render time. Gotta test it…

Make everything out of procedural materials and your rendering performance will be several times slower than it could be.

For image textures, you can use blended box mapping for a quasi-procedural wrapping effect (and still make things render a lot faster even with a limited use of procedurals).

As for working on a complete movie, for years on end, by yourself. I would say that if you do not know the ins and outs of Blender as well as sufficient knowledge on voice acting and texture making, then it’s going to be very difficult for you to complete it, even the smaller animation projects out there often involve multiple people. I’m not saying this to crush your dream, it’s just how these type of things tend to pan out.

You mean procedural textures uses more CPU power? Alright, I will just stick to image texture.

As for the voice acting, I already recorded some. I used text-to-speech programs for the supporting characters.

Yeah you are right, making a film all by your self is a lengthy process. I will just do it episode by episode then.

Having trouble setting up the lightning.

This is what I have done so far:

I now gotta do some color matching.

I’m trying to make the scene as low poly as possible without compromising quality.

Any tips and suggestions are welcome.

I found this on Google image search. I will use this as a reference for the rebel’s uniform.

I like the color of the sky in this snapshot.

I will try to mimic this on Cycles. Any suggestions are welcome.

The good guys need some fancy uniform. I’ll refer to this concept art:

That small bridge looks great in that area.

Yes that small bridge kinda add to the skeleton look of the river pier houses.

I am still figuring out how to lower the noise without using too much samples.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]307159[/ATTACH]

The basic uniform of the good guys.
(50% complete. The visor needs to be widened more for better side view)

I am working on the bandit’s uniform and the boats right now.

I managed to make a water more realistic but I’m still working on it though. I gotta add an refraction shader. I’m still figuring out how to mix the shader in.

As for the lightning, I am using mesh lights only to reduce the noise.

Working on the basic weapons for the good guys

The .50 Cal carbine

Modeling some lowpoly props (vehicles,furniture,crates…)

U.N. Improvised Supply Truck 1

Wooden Boat

critiques and suggestions are always welcome