A NURBS surface connecting two NURBS curves ?

Hello,

I want to create a NURBS surface between two NURBS curves.
Just like the “Skin Surface” in TrueSpace or the “Ruled Surface” in 3D Studio MAX.
So that I can change the shape of the NURBS surface by moving the points of the two curves.
Actually simple, but I tried and tried and could not do it.

How can I do that?

( I have now Blender 2.70a )

Have 1 NURBS surface curve enter edit mode, select the points of the curve you want to have a surface and extrude

Two ways, really, you can add a NURBS surface curve, subdiv it to the required # of points and then extrude it once. Or you could add a NURBS surface and endpoint the u or V and just treat it the same way…

Now if you have two curves already they have to be NURBS surface curves, with the same number of control knots. If so then you can select all and ‘make segment’ this should bridge the curves. You will have to check U endpoints from the curves control panel to get the surface to reach all the way to the curve.

Thank you both very much,

:no:but none of them works as I want it to. Something’s wrong with my Blender.
When two curves are joined and in the EditMode there must be created a
NURBS surface between them, when f is pressed. I watched it on several video tutorials.
It doesn’t work neither in 2.68 nor in 2.70a.
Am I suposed to report a bug now?

sorry you can try to report a bug
but doubt it will work !

Now there is a new GSOC project for new Nurbs
and it will add a lot more new tools in blender
but have to wait till the project is done

happy bl

Did you look at the Blender Wiki entry for skinning? Especially this part might be exactly your issue:
“In some cases (i.e. when joining only two curves) the resulting surface may NOT be displayed after you press F. So you need to toggle Endpoint U/V options on the Curve Tools panel to correct this issue.”

Works for me every time like it always has. I suggest you are making a very common mistake - you are joining a NURBS curve to a NURBS curve which results in another NURBS curve when you do an F or make segment. What you should be doing is joining a NURBS surface curve to a NURBS surface curve, and then the F Make Segment works as it should.

The add menu is very misleading although accurate technically, because “NURBS curve” is found under both the add>curve and the add>surface menus. IMO the add>surface menu should instead read ‘NURBS (surface) curve’.

Look in your outliner or at the bottom of your 3Dview. Blender names them NURBS curve and Surfcurve.

An easy way to tell the difference in edit mode (they look identical in object mode) - the NURBS curve has ‘fishbone’ or ‘whisker’ normal arrows…

…and the NURBS Surface curve does not!

Thank you very much to all of you.
Now I have understood and it works.
:spin:But it’s not what I’ve been looking for.

What I need is that the controll points of the NURBS surface are on the NURBS surface.
Just like the “Skin Surface” in TrueSpace or the “Ruled Surface” in 3D Studio MAX.

But I will wait for the GSOC project for new Nurbs.

Thank you again.

sorry don’t know max
so is there a short video that shows how the max thing works
might remind me of something in blender

for the new Nurbs tools
this might take like a few months and before it is in Master may be at the end of this year !
but there hopefully will be some SVN at graphical org to experiment with!

thanks

I don’t quite see it… to get a smooth NURBS surface the control points can’t actually be on the surface that they are deforming??? That is like a hammer hitting itself!
Maybe it’s not really a NURBS surface but a Bezier surface, although I am no expert in surface maths. Blender does not do Bezier surfaces but it does simulate them (poorly, I think, so I don’t have any use for it) if you check the ‘Bezier’ box in the curve properties.
You might also try reducing the NURBS order to 2, this will make your surface less smooth and more angular but will bring it much closer to the control points.

I will try to find or make a video on my own about the surface I mean RickyBlender. Thank you.
And I have reduced the NURBS order to 2 but it happend exactly what you described DruBan. Thank you too.

I couldn’t find a video about it, so I’ll try to make one myself. Never done it before.
If I don’t manage it I will do it with some pictures.
But is it allowed to upload a video to Youtube of 3D Studio MAX without having a licence?
In TrueSpace it doesn’t really work as I want it.

Sorry, but I don’t want to get problems because of uploading things that are forbidden.