Video Codec Error When Rendering

This has been going on ever since I have been using Blender. A previous poster said I should render out images, then stitch them together. However, I am curious as to why every time I try to render an animation, the video comes out upside down, sometimes even black and white, and when I try to import it into a video editor, obviously rotating it 360 degrees still makes everything backwards, and sometimes it gives me the error, “video codec error”. My output is in AVI RAW, should I be using a different output? Anyway, my questions are:

1. Does anyone else have this problem?
  2. How do I fix this problem?
    Thanks!

As that error message says: This is a codec problem. If your video player does not recognize the movie’s pixel format correctly, it reads out the pixels in the wrong order, resulting in an upside down and mirrored playback.

That’s not necessarily Blender’s fault: Which software do you use to playback that files? On which OS?

On Windows I use the free xVid codec (essentially MP4) to produce AVI files. RAW files won’t playback anyway so you might as well render to image sequence.

AVI Raw files are not for the final video output. They should be used as a lossless intermediate format, though better to use an image sequence instead as you’ll just encounter problems otherwise

Huh. Thanks guys! I can’t believe I have been rendering in AVI for a year now xD