New Untitled Game Project (Input Needed)

I have just decided to start a game project. I want this game to be geared toward young girls in their teens and early twenties as I have noticed there aren’t a lot of games out there that appeal to girls my age. I’m thinking about making it an old style RPG, since those are my favorite kinds of games. I’m not entirely sure but I’m thinking about making the main character a headstrong, tomboyish teenage girl somewhat similar to Korra from the anime Legend Of Korra. I even want her appearance to be somewhat similar to Korra’s. As for setting I’m thinking about a fantasy forest world with lots of futuristic eco friendly technology. Not sure about plot yet as I’m just in the beginning phases of brainstorming. So far what do you think? What can I improve on? I would really like input especially from girls here in their teens and twenties which this game will be geared toward. By the way I’m currently just brainstorming. I haven’t even started making the game.

I would advise that you look at some guidelines for writing a design document. Like this: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3384/the_anatomy_of_a_design_document_.php

It’ll help you when creating a game and when trying to get other people involved in the process.

How exactly are games not aimed towards girls? (Aside from the chain mail bikini stereotype) My niece prefers games and books aimed at boys; e.g. Call of Duty and Soul Eater. I agree that there could be more female lead characters in games, though; and I’m trying to write a design document myself with one (who also happens to be a sort of tomboy :confused:).

I think perhaps the best way in which we can differentiate between games for boys and games for girls is to look at the stereotypes they employ. Games which embrace male stereotypes - employing muscle building, sexist protagonists - are not accessible to both genders, and are only to male audiences because they choose to embrace it. There after we are looking at rewards that genders tend to prefer.

I don’t think it’s fair to divide things in chalk and dedicate violent shooter games to men, and peaceful games to women. It’s a familiar idea, but highly irrelevant in my experience. However, there are noticeable preferences between genders which we must embrace when designing a game, and I do agree that these nuances are overlooked in the genres of today. Best of luck.

I would personally lean towards a less segregated game. When a game is specifically geared for one group-be it gender, race, etc., it perpetuates stereotypes, and therefore loses its own audience. I would look towards games like Mass Effect, that don’t grab at certain audiences, but instead embrace as many audiences as possible.
Mass Effect pretty much has a little bit of everything to make every gamer happy. Not too much of any one thing as to push away a certain group, but not too little either. ME3 actually had an option where you could actually skip all the action sequences just to have the character interaction.
I’m not saying its a bad idea, I’m just saying that with such a specific audience, you’ll not only lose everyone else, but a lot of your intended audience as well. This would be why the vast majority of games either have a male leaning audience or a non-biased audience. The market can’t be run on principle.
I hope you do well in finding a unique story base while also succeeding in finding the proper audience.