Concept Supercar--Vulcan

Hey everyone:
had a lot of fun here with my last car, so now it’s time for a new one! This is a concept car of mine, with some strong Ferrari influences as you can see. I started off with a spline cage (well not actually splines; they’re polygons but they serve the same purpose), which is not something I normally do. It made the modeling process a lot easier, because I could really focus on the topology without having to think through the design again.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]308746[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]304131[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]304132[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]304133[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Trim along the edge of the window is always nice.

Mirrors!

Looks great so far, it have kinda slr feeling in it.

Thank you! Here are some new tires.

Hood scoop detail.

looks really nice, keep up the great work!

Could you explain a bit more of your modeling process? Do you ultimately box model or is it more point to point using these polygon guides as snapping points?

Nice tire modeling eh.

Thanks! I don’t box model; I tend to use the second method you mentioned. I feel it gives me more control over the topology than box modeling does, but that’s just my preference.

I don’t usually use the polygon cage, but I decided to try it out for this model, and I’m actually really liking it. It allows me to focus on the topology while I’m modeling, because the design is already done. I feel it’s pretty efficient!!

Here is the un-subdivided mesh.

What a cool looking concept, Goldenfrog! I’ve never used this method of modeling (or even seen it in action), but it looks to be very effective! I can’t wait to see how this develops.

Thanks so much, James Candy! The method isn’t used very often outside of car modeling, but if you hang out on a forum like SMCars or something you’re bound to see it in action a lot. Here are the headlights. (also yay for first render of this car!)

Nowhere near done, but hey, rendering is fun!

very nice model - only one area I might rework is the front wheel opening i needs more of a bevel like the back wheel.

Do you know Fusion 360? Do you have any NURBS experience?

DAT PAINTJOB IS SEXY
Also I like the tread on your tires
Keep it up :smiley:

Cekuhnen, thanks for the feedback! I agree the bevel around the front wheel well is too thin. I have no nurbs experience and have never used Fusion360! I once tried Rhino but it was the free trial and didn’t allow more than 5 file saves or something, so I never really got into it.

Thanks sdighe! It’s actually just a mosaic filter applied in photoshop. Glad you like the tire tread!

that awkward moment when you put your door handles waaaay too far up front because you forgot you’re going to need to have a dashboard

A wild interior springs forth unexpectedly.

Up next: the steering wheel gets some love!

Break the mold.