newbie trying to extrude..

hello community,
I just attended a two day open seminar on blender and now I m trying to have some basic results with it.
I tried to follow blender wiki’s advices and some youtube tutorials too, but couldn’t find out answers for my thing so I thought that it wouldn’t be such a burden for someone experienced to answer to this propably…
so,
I import an svg file that consists of two objects. I left click on the first, then shift left-click on the second and pressing ctrl-j i join them.
then I press tab, entering in edit mode, to be able to extrude my 2d image so I can give “depth” to it, and make it 3d in a way.
Now, when I am in edit mode, either pressing A i have all the points of the bezier curved drawd image selected, either pressing B and draging the selection square above my object i have the points of the image selected.
When i press E to extrude the points (verices?) i got a result same to G command. I have my object moved around the environment…
Why i don’t get the extrusion?
Why don’t I get the bezier curves selected, and i got only the points instead?

I use blender 2.66.1 on ubuntu studio 3.8.0-35-lowlatency.

An imported SVG is a curve, not a mesh that can be extruded in edit mode. You can either convert the curve to a mesh using Alt C or use the curve settings found in the Object Data tab (see image).

Which suggests that you installed Blender from the repository. Don’t do that. Blender is developed to be in a self-contained package (might need some dependency intalled still) and distribution package maintainers have hard time changing it to shared library model. Blender is very complex software and also developed fast and repository versions tend to have problems. Missing functionality, broken functionality, and too old version.

Download the official from blender.org, unpack, run.

thanks a lot for your replies :slight_smile:
I was able to convert the curve to a mesh using Alt-c, and then i can do an extrusion through the Object Data tab, when i rise the extrude number.
I m sad i cannot have the E shortcut working though. Could it be cause i run an old blender version? it still acts as the G command.
I also try to fill my object selecting all of it’s vertices and then preesing F, but I get a “cannot make segment” error. my “ring” was not closed, but i did close it. I guess these are quite simple tasks that i’m asking blender to perform, and i would be able to do even with my current version…

The hotkey behavior you’re describing suggests that you did not in fact successfully convert the curve to a mesh object. Make sure you are in Object mode, and that you select the second option from the resulting menu: “Mesh from Curve/Meta/Surf/Text”. I suspect you accidentally selected the first option, which does nothing because it was already a curve.

And please follow JA12’s advice. Do not use a linux repo version of Blender. Ever. For any reason. Just download the latest directly from www.blender.org, unpack and run.

thanks a lot K Horseman, your advice was quite a help!
I was trying to convert in edit mode… trying again in object mode i succesfully converted to a mesh (happy)
I also did download and work with the latest version as you both suggested.
Now i m just not satisfied with the outcome of the F button. I read in manuals that it should fill my object, creating a “face”. when i select my object and press F i got my object filled with a raster-like surface (not quite as I expected, comparing with the tutorial pictures that i see), which when i extrude seems quite the same as if i didnot pressed (F). I got a sketched like result, full of lines…
now, my basic question/subject has been solved -talking about extrusion- so propably i should start a new thread about this one and mark this as solved (which i’ll mark quite soon). I just thought that maybe someone who followed the story could have some advice

If you press the F key with a whole bunch of vertices selected, it will create an n-gon instead of a nice clean quad face. These can be problematic if your surface isn’t perfectly flat, and if the outline of the selection isn’t convex. There are better ways of filling an open area. You haven’t shown any pictures of the mesh you’re working on or the results you’re getting, so it’s hard to be specific, but generally speaking, Grid Fill is probably what you really need.