How to make cockpit windows

I want to know how to make windows for buildings or vehicles. I know I can go to blender render>Object Mode> Select Desired Object>Add Material>Transparency Alpha lower, toss in some higher specular.

Hit render and viola my selected mesh is “Window like”. My issue is joining the now transparent “Window” like mesh with a already existing mesh. Example, attaching the now windowed glass with the cockpit hull.

If I attach it, then the rest of the cockpit hull takes on the transparent material and now instead of just the cockpit window being transparent, the whole hull is transparent!

Keep in mind that I am making this mesh for a video game.

My questions are

A)How do I make “windows” or glass for a vehicle or building?
B) How can I attach the window to the vehicle or building? Or should I even attach them?
C) Do I add the window to the mesh in Unity3D?

If you guys can help me out that would be great! Also if you guys want to help on a awesome video game project I could use a few more 3D artists!

Add a material to the rest of the cockpit before joining. Each face will keep its assigned material. If it has no material it will get assigned one from any other faces, in this case the transparent one. Even then you could just add another material and assign it to any faces you wish.

Is there a particular reason why you want to join them together as a single object ? What happens in your game engine when you don’t join them ?

Thanks for the reply so quick! I have been watching tones of youtube tutorials and bashing my head on this!

I want to make it a single object so it can export well over to the Unity3D game engine. I figure if it is a whole model also it would be easier to animate and what not without worrying about separate parts (if that makes any sense).

I will try what you suggest right now and let you know how it goes!

Since it’s for Unity, this is a Unity thread about what you want.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/136758-Blender-Importing-and-SUBMESHES-!

It’s got decent instructions on assigning materials to different faces in Blender, which when you import into Unity will do what I think you are looking for.