Boolean issues

Hi all,

I’ve been playing around with the boolean modifier in blender and I’ve encountered what I think is a glitch, but can’t be sure. I take text of some sort, convert it to mesh, and then use the boolean modifier to intersect it with a sphere. However, this always cuts off some of the text. I’ve attached a picture, plus a .blend file (if you open the file, you have to apply the modifier to see what I’m talking about)

sphere.blend (559 KB)

thanks,
Joseph

You have the boolean set to intersect but you don’t have much intersecting of the two meshes

It’s the usual object scale, doubles, normals.
Select the two objects and Ctrl+A -> scale to apply object scale. Then edit mode, select all, W -> remove doubles, (select all), ctrl+N to recalculate normals.

I understand. Thanks!

Am a little late sorry.
Am having also problems with the boolean in B_2.7 . i am trying to build some buildings so i use the boolean to cut windows etc. but some windows are cutted and some not. i deleted the cube wich should cut and created a new one then it worked,why that?
it also happens that i have 6 different cubes on a wall to cut windows and just on 3 i can apply booleans and the others dosnt work and i have to use those cubes that worked and then it work !! … i tryed that with scale,delete doubles and face normals,still hapenz the same. Do anyone have some idea?

Your screenshot and attached blendfile shows pretty clearly that you don’t have enough geometry on the building for the Boolean modifier to give good results. Use the subdivide tool to add a lot more verts and then try it again. Also when you are applying scale you have to do it to the building too, not just the cutting cubes!

You could always apply a bend deformer to the text to get it to follow the geometry of the sphere and then use the boolean modifier.