"Square Samples".. can someone please explain this like im 5 years old.

Its always sitting there mocking me. I dont know what it does.

What does it mean ? and arnt all pixels square in the first place ?

bonus internet points if you use sock puppets :stuck_out_tongue:

Iā€™m not a native but i feel ā€˜Squaredā€™ (math x*x) would be more intuitive.
This is nothing to do with squares and is pretty clear when you select Branched Path Tracing from dropdown: see a bit down ray sample counts while you check/uncheck Square Samples. And itā€™s a time killing feature ;).

aah squared samples. they didnt put the D on the end.
seems a bit pointless.

I thought it had something to do with taking into account pixels within a square around the main pixel.

Iā€™ve always wondered the same thing Humblerollerā€¦based on eppoā€™s comment, itā€™s nice to know I havenā€™t missed anything that important.

From the 2.69 release notes: Add a ā€œSquare Samplesā€ option to the Sampling panel, to use squared values for ease of use. This can make tweaking easier from an artist point of view. (r58424)

https://projects.blender.org/scm/viewvc.php?view=rev&root=bf-blender&revision=58424

i dont see how it makes it easier. its just less clicks and more maths.

Itā€™s bringing Cyclesā€™ Branched Path Tracer closer to Arnold in the way you set sampling levels to reduce noise. It often takes a lot of additional samples to reduce noise levels in a noticeable way, and the ā€˜squaredā€™ setting makes it simpler to make those changes. While it may give you more samples than you ultimately need (especially once you get over 4 or so), itā€™s a lot quicker than trying to determine whether or not you should use 400 vs 425 diffuse samples, for instance.

jdent hit the nail on the head.

I added it (Iā€™m an unabashed Arnold user).

Basically, the longer the render, the more samples you need to make a noticeable difference in the noise level of your image. It just happens to work out that, when you measure noise, the graph plots very similarly to a simple x^2 graph. So, when using branched path tracing, this makes it very simple to turn up the sample for the pass where you are getting noise by 1 and get a real boost in image quality. Rather than sitting and trying to figure out how to balance huge numbers of AA, Diffuse, Glossy, etc. samples, it allows the artist to keep a very simple mental list of good starting values for different lighting situations and blur situations.

ahh good to know.
Iā€™ll use it then.

Glad I got it right. I canā€™t remember where I saw it but I was basically summarizing an online explanation that I saw from the author of the feature. I didnā€™t make the connection :o