Blender Stuck in Awkward Viewpoint

So, blender has been stuck in this really awkward viewpoint, where the movement widget is way too close to the screen.

I’m pretty sure this happens only in orthographic view.

Am I missing someone obvious?

This looks like it might be a problem with the Viewport’s field of view. Bring up the right hand sidebar by hitting the ‘n’ key and then look for View. You should see a value slider, labelled Camera, which is set to 35.00 by default (I think this operates like a real world camera so 35.00 probably equates to a 35mm lens). Have you reduced that value? I’ve been able to reproduce your screen shot by reducing the Camera value to 1 or 2, which shrinks and distorts the apparent scale of the scene in the Viewport, and then compensating for the shrinkage by zooming the Viewport.

If I’m right then the problem is fixed by simply resetting the Camera value to 35.00, which may cause your scene to seemingly disappear, but it can brought back into view by selecting an object from the Outliner and hitting “.” on the number pad to re-centre the view. Does that help?

Yes! This worked!

I somehow must’ve changed it to ‘1’, it’s back at 35 now and all is good :smiley:

I don’t want to hi-jack your thread, but I don’t have enough posts to start my own, and I too am stuck in a view and can’t figure out how to get back to where I was. I am stuck here:
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd291/rnichol7/stuckview_zps89a4a9e6.png

I just finished rendering my first comp. (and very proud I was of it too), it was the an introduction to a tutorial (you can view it here if you like).

I wanted to do some more work on it, but I cannot figure out how to get out of the view above.

Thank you for any help you can provide, and again I am sorry for hi-jacking your thread.

@PointLookOut
After rendering, you can get out of that view by pressing the Esc-key.

Richard W,

Thank you for your reply - ESC did get me out that screen. However, I am now in this screen:
[IMG]http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd291/rnichol7/blenderscreen2_zpsb0198262.png[/IMG]

I see in the corner the words “Camera Persp” -ective - I did a search and all I found was toggling with the 0 and 5 key on the num pad - that does make the view change, but I am still not seeing my shapes/pictures, nor am I able to move about freely - I hate to sound like such a n00b, but I am not even sure I am search for the correct terms…

Thank you (inadvance) for your help

Well, you’re clearly in the camera, but you should still be able to navigate. Have you tried pressing one of the fixed view keys? (NUMPAD_1, 3 or 7)

Useful keys for resetting the view (leave the camera view if able):

Shift+C -> focus on the centre of your scene
NUMPAD_. (usually also the del-key) -> focus on centre of selected object(s)/geometry

Richard,

Let me start by saying how much I appreciate you taking the time to help a hopeless n00b like myself.

I had tried the numpad keys, and it did move/center the view on scene, but id did not fix the shapes: they are only showing up as boxes and squares.

I tried the short cuts you suggested and apparently I did get out of camera view (I am now in ortho view), but still all I see are the ‘raw’ shapes without the textures that I had before the render:
[IMG]http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd291/rnichol7/blenderscreen3_zps501abb71.png[/IMG]

Thanks again for your help

spend sometime reading the manual, it will save you hours of frustration later:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/3D_interaction/Navigating/3D_View

Check that you haven’t changed the maximum draw type to something like bounding box.

Also, check that your textures are still on the models. If you’re Viewport is set to Texture Shading Mode and it’s displaying white, this could mean that your models don’t have a texture assigned to them. You need to make sure that you save textures separately, as they aren’t saved when you save the blend file.

@RichardW - if OMG is 'oh, my god, can ‘OFS’ be ‘oh, f_ _ ing S _ t’? I think what you describe is exactly what happened - I can’t view the textures because they are gone… The textures for each object appear to have gone back to the ‘default’ cloud.

I was following a tutorial for much of what I needed to do, and either I didn’t catch it, or the tutorial forgot to mention it

Thank you for your help and patients.