Shipping Container

Hey,
So I know there’s a LOT that this image is missing, and it looks terrible. The lighting needs some work, as well as the materials.
What is it missing, and where could it improve?

There was no composting or editing of any kind.
Critiques are very appreciated. :slight_smile:

What are you trying to say with the image? Maybe an old rusty shipping container might tell a different story. Or make it an exotic location, out of context from where we normally see shipping containers. Play with our expectations.

it could use some rust and some more grass

Hello Benjamin, it’s a good start. I like the modelling of the container. :slight_smile: You might want to put a decal on the container of one of a shipowning company like “Maersk”. It could be a harbour scene, so you might wanna add some gulls. You could also try to replace the pylons with some nets or ropes. Please keep the puddle. It makes your scene look unique. Keep up the work.

Why do so many people, when asking for a review, start the conversation with something like “I know is it terrible…”. It’s not terrible, it simply displays your current skill level. And every single one of us has produced something even worse.

Well… How about we start with the lighting and the materials? I am guessing that you just chose a color and made the material. it looks too perfect. Add some texture and dirt/rust/grime to the shipping container. I would add the same to the traffic cones to.

Its a good start, but you need to look at a lot of reference pics and pic out all the small details. Like decals and the corner castings usually have large holes for machinery to grab them securely or to be locked in place.

Wow, thanks for all the feedback! Here’s what I’ve been working on so far. Haven’t had much time to work on it, but I’m trying to get something done. :slight_smile: Right now, I’m texturing the container w/rust, and the cones are next in line (scratches, dust, etc).

@illusionist: The location where the crate is is sort of a nameless place, but it’s sort of just a run-down crate. I don’t really know.
@Modron: Thx, the grass could really spice the render up.
@KarelZe: was planning on keeping the puddle, cause it sort of draws attention to the muddy depressing ground. I’m gonna work on decals as soon as I get the rust done.
@Place57: Thx for the suggestion to the traffic cones. Hopefully that will spice the render up.
@Rich33584: Yep, I’ll get that too, just…wait a minute, I’ll do that sooner. Thanks!

Please keep the feedback coming, it was really helpful.
Pictures soon (hopefully)

Ben…this is a great start!! My suggestion would be to check the proportions of your cones to the container. The cones took too tall, I think. I Love the color. I think you have hit on a very “container-ist” color.

I like the idea of a name on the container. But, beware…that is going to also give more of a proportionality.

Textures for everyone! Never fear @tc2466. the crate is still blue, I’m just randomizing the color for the other one.

I’m now working on logos for the crate.