Shane Plew's Sketchbook

Thumbnail:

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Ha, once or twice a week. Doesn’t look like I’m very good at keeping to a schedule.

Anyways, here is an update:

Turns out metal is hard to do in the internal render engine. If anyone has a good tutorial for it just let me know.

Looks good!!! Keep it up!

Here is a dental syringe that I made a few days back. Modelling took a few hours.

I’m working on a Penny Farthing Bicycle right now, then I’m moving on to either a Bowden Spacelander Bike or a Harley Davidson. Should have the Penny Farthing done tonight or tomorrow. I think I’m going to get a few models done and then move on to texturing them.

FINALLY finished the model of a Penny Farthing Bike. The render I did was slightly too large to upload, so the size reduction kind of made the imperfections in the backdrop stand out. And the back light needs a size reduction, but oh well.
Here it is:

Probably going to start texturing this and the syringe, as well as starting a new model. Hopefully the Harley if I’m feeling up to it tomorrow.

Well, the Spacelander is actually happening. The main part of the frame was a little harder than I had imagined. Here is my progress:

Not a whole lot to look at, but the rest should be really easy to model. Except perhaps for the rest of the front tire cover and maybe the seat. I think there might need to be more spokes, I can’t decide.

I also started work on the Harley, but due to a lack of good references I had to stop. I’m going to go take some of my own reference photos this weekend (probably) so I can get back to work on it. Anyways, it’s getting late so I think I’m done for today.

I always appreciate criticism, so feel free to leave some!

Just finished this model I started ages ago. I didn’t mean to render in cycles, but that kind of works better for textureless renders anyway.

Getting remotivated to practice art again. Hopefully this time it sticks.

Here’s a jar of…somthing…

It’s supposed to be applesauce, but hasn’t turned out that way so far. I would not eat whatever substance resides inside that jar. Any tutorials for making realistic materials in Blender Internal would be appreciated. The vast majority of the tutorials I find are for Cycles. I could probably make this look pretty good in Cycles, but I’m apprehensive about learning that any further considering the materials are not exportable. For the purposes I plan on using blender for, everything needs to be exportable.

For now I think I’ll leave this project as a half assed failure, and maybe come back to it when I’ve learned more about BI.

Start of a tank:

Been working on this for two days. Pretty much the only thing of any substance I’ve accomplished this week. Done a bit of experimenting with sculpting, mostly trying to figure out how to do scales for a snake. Still can’t figure that out, but oh well. I may eventually sculpt something worth sharing.

Edit:
Got a bit more done tonight and figured I’d post it before I went to work:

It’s been over a week since I started this and this is all the progress I’ve made?

Wow, I really need to get things into gear if I’m going to get this done in the next month or so.

Oh, and I guess I’m going to try my hand at texture paint with this model:

I mean how hard could it actually be?

Edit: Apparently pretty damn hard

So I’m calling this done and moving on. Got really boring and I’d like to start a new model. Also, no texture paint involved. Still not sure when to use which texturing method.

I’ll try to make the next model with texturing in mind, unlike this cannon here.

Hi

I mean how hard could it actually be? Edit: Apparently pretty damn hard .

Thank You…Make Me Smile.

I like Your bike’s and the cannon isen’t bad…:slight_smile:

Tai

Yay, another gun. I’m not sure why I like making weapons so much, or how useful it’ll be, but hey, all that matters is that I’m enjoying myself right? I do have a reason for this one though. The first thing I ever tried to make in 3D was a Scar-L, and it was pretty atrocious. Didn’t help that I was using Anim8or.

Anyway, here it is:

So I might put more of these up if I think I’ve put enough effort to be worth showing. This was about 2 hours or so of work. It is my second drawing of a face. Please critique!

So I’m working my way up to creating models from my own concepts. Right now I have three projects going: A trebuchet (for learning how to get things into UE4), Megatron (based on the Armada version with quite a few “artistic” liberties taken), and then a Scene from the Dune series (only based on descriptions from the books, so visually almost all my ideas). I’ve wanted to do the Dune scene when I started CG, but didn’t know where to start. I’m making modeling sheets for the last two projects. Here is the beginning of Megatron:

This took me probably somewhere between four and five hours to get to this point. I need to work on my speed a lot as I feel like I should be able to produce something like this in about an hour. If you have any critiques, I could use 'em.

I’m trying to hand paint the textures for the trebuchet, and I feel like it’s going to take me quite a few hours to get that finished, but I’ll post that when I successfully get it into UE4. As for the Dune project I’m probably going to start a thread in the Focused Critiques section when I actually get a few more concepts fleshed out for it. I plan on giving that one everything I’ve got.

Having just read the first 4 dune books and loving the series, I really look forward to seeing what you come up with this. Have you checked out the documentary on Jodorowsky’s Dune? I couldn’t believe that he had one of my favourite all time artists, Moebious (Jean Giraud) work on concepts… and then the movie never happened.

Nice work, and good luck :smiley:

I did hear about the Dune movie that got scrapped, but I didn’t know that they made a documentary about it. Gotta check that out thx!

I’d like to suggest that the grains on the side of your cannon mount base are running in the wrong direction. They should be flowing length-wise for maximum strength. Otherwise it looks good.