Steam and Blender?

I’m not sure if this is the right category, I think that it fits, but if not please move it :slight_smile:
Anyway, I was wondering if there was anyone (probably yes) on the forum that sells stuff in the Steam Workshop, like Team Fortress hats. I’m interested in people’s pipeline, how do you export and make it work ok. All the guides out there see SOOO complex! You even have to go to the code level! Is that so? How do YOU do it? Especially on Linux?

a tutorial would be nice :slight_smile:

here u go, mates

Sad thread for a sad topic…

Can you make money by creating content for dota? I mean, I read that something like this is possible, but does someone know a bit more about the topic?

People are making tens of thousands from tf2 and dota items. But it’s so f*****g difficult to actually export your models… :frowning:

I know is just a video tutorial, and it is the only one I’ve seen, but from that video it didn’t look such a difficult process…

Exporting for Dota2 is actually really simple.
You’ll need Valve’s Blender SMD tool, and the model of the character you want to make an item or set for.
Import the SMD, not the FBX, in order to get the armature and skinned version.
After that it’s the workflow you want for creation. When you retopo your in-game low rez make sure to follow the technical requirements for your character. Texturing is however you want. I use substance designer. There is a very good document on the Dota workshop site that gives you a good workflow. Theres also a document explaining the masks you will need to make.
You’ll then have to skin your item or items to the armature of your imported character. Once that is done you can do your first import to see how it looks in the game. For this you’ll of course need Dota2 installed. When you load the game go into the workshop section and choose to publish a new item. Follow the instructions or one of several youtube tutorials on this subject. You’ll probably go through this many times until you get the ingame look right. Once you’re happy, you can upload to steam workshop from there.

Here’s what i made on steam workshop;
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=242947477

I’m sorry, there’s been a misunderstading that I’m rensponsible for. I don’t know anything about Dota 2 because I haven’t tried it. (I can’t even play it, my computer is too old :spin:). I was actually talking about Team Fortress 2…

I looked on Dam-Org’s youtube channel and he has one specifically for Team Fortress

looks great!

Hey comeinandburn, that is not my channel, mate. We don’t want to confuse people, do we? :slight_smile:
Anyway antoni4040 the export into game engines is not so hard as u think. Its just not comfortable if u never worked with some of them so give it a try. And here u can find another useful information - lots of videos and stuff
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123800

aaaaand this can help ya too
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1536668

Quick question: a tf2 hat has to be one object?

In the end yes as far as I remember. U can use multiple objects, but U need to join them before exporting.

A bit off-topic, but I guess that this thread can be for game-modelling generally, how do I join objects without destroying my uvs?

Ooh, helpful people!
Can someone link me to google?