selection tools

hey all,

I was wondering if there was a way to select objects using another object to do so. in my case I have subdivided a cube into many litttle cubes using the cell fracture tool and the particle system set to grid. I want to then make an irregular shape and then use that to select a portion of the little cubes. Is this possible?

any help would be much appreciated.

ninehunred

I don’t think blender has a way to select based on another mesh.

You can make irregular selections with the Lasso Select tool (Ctrl Right-Click) though.

Hi!
Is ‘Select’ the keyword or the result should be 'irregular shape covered by smaller parts" ?
If latter - use particle system on irregular shape and set it to use Object Group created after Cell fracture. Plenty of options to experiment with.

hey,

thanks for replying to my post and sorry for my own late reply.
@skywolfblue - thanks for your suggestion. the selection needs to be in 3d so im not sure the lasso tool is appropriate for this one

@eppo - Thanks for your reply. i suppose neither ‘select’ or ‘irregular shape’ are the key points. im just looking for a different way to do things so i have bit more creative freedom. im quite liking the cell fractures ability to make lots of little cubes from another cube so ive been exploring this in an architectural way. i want to try and make a ‘pixelated’ version of an irregular shape except it would be cut out of the centre of a cube. so i suppose if i was going to distil what i want to do it would be ‘pixelating irregular shapes’.
heres what ive got so far -