dirtyroom

my first try to make most of the stuff look dirty in cycles:

i had to post as jpg because of the file size limit on BA for pictures, is there a workaround?

anyway, it needs a lot of work (especially the chair), but my big problem is that the render is AWFULLY AWFULLY SLOW! it took hours to get the grainy image i posted…
i tried despeckle in the compositor, but its just as noisy. if anybody knows a way to either postpro the noise out or speed up the render, telling me would be very much appreciated!

the idea is that its “paradise” or my idea of paradise, because sure everything is dirty but the computer isnt, the
speaker isnt, and good (and loud) music is playing, and the computer is running blender (and the computer is bright green).

90% of the dirt textures include spottywall.jpg from the blender texture cd, and the wood is also from the cd, and so is the carpet, so thank you blender texture cd! the speaker and radios are inspired by donald duck, and the two monitors on the floor were just an easy way to illuminate the speaker and cabinet.

.blend is here: http://www.pasteall.org/blend/28464
P.S the file is called “blender_foundations” because i made the chair and table with help from the book “Blender Foundations”

comment, crits, help, and everything would be great :slight_smile:

what happened with your image? i looked at it with two different monitors, and on both it is almost black. i can see only the green computer, and some shiny vertical line beside it, 4 red dots and another computermonitor on the right side. everything else on the image appears so close to black that nothing is visible.

i see it just fine. is your screen brightness too low? here is a brightend version (composited):

i think my screen brightness is just fine…thanks, . i can see a little more now on your image, like a chair etc. but still it looks like a night with no light atvall except from the computerscreen, maybe this was your intention? … curious if other see the image that dark too…

it was meant to be nighttime. i’ll work on a day render :slight_smile:

finally finished the day render, the grainy grainy image took 8 hours! i am going to have to renderfarm it or something.
high quality png: http://www.pasteall.org/pic/69934
jpg (for those who dont want to have to download the png):

can you see it now?

yes! quite improved…

is there a way to reduce noise/speed up renders?

there’s quite a lot of factors that can contribute to noise.

off the top of my head, it looks like a lot of your surfaces have a glossy component. for a scene like that i’d make sure ‘no caustics’ is enabled in render properties, as well as clamp indirect light.

Interiors generally take longer to clear out noise, since so much illumination is bounce light. Make sure as many primary rays as possible make it into the room. i.e. don’t just use a skylight and hope that a few rays make it in through a window opening; place an area light right in the window frame to approximate light entering the room.

Situations vary, but generally I can get an interior image to get rid of most objectionable noise within a couple hundred samples. With good technique you should start seeing something cleaner than your current image literally within the first 20-30 samples. Good luck!

finally got internet again! thanks for the suggestions shteeve. i will have to work on that soon :slight_smile:

I had to realize that it often helps with interior renders to use lightwells in roofs to allow some environment light to lighten up your room. You might want to remove portions of the ceiling to get rid of some of the noise. You might also want to add some spot lights to the ceiling to brighten up the day/ night scene. Anyway your second render shows some significant improvements. Keep up steadily improving. :slight_smile:

all i did was added a big fat sun lamp and a window :slight_smile:
i could get rid of the sun lamp, and a lot of the pesky noise, by environment lighting i think, but i didnt find anything that does environment light yet…
thank you everybody for suggestions!