Bug?? INSTANT crash when mirroring hair particles!

Hello all,

I’ve been following David Ward’s excellent tutorialas a basis for making a little furry creature. In part 3 @ 43:13, he goes into Particle Mode, selects “Point select mode”, border selects half of the particles and deletes them, then selects the other half with “A”, and goes to “Particle” > “Mirror”.

When I recreate this scenario, Blender crashes instantly. I’m using Blender 2.70a, but it does it with 2.70, and 2.68. David Ward was using 2.61 in the tutorial. I’m using Windows XP 32 bit. Is this a long standing bug? If so, is there a workaround?

Thanks so much!

~Adam

No crash for me in 2.70 when I mirror a particle hair system.
If you think it’s a bug, report it to the bug tracker (link in blender help menu)
Supply an example blend file plus your full system spec (OS, ram, graphics card, driver etc etc)

Thanks Richard for the quick response! I assume you’re on a 64 bit version of Blender?

I will continue working on it, and will report back if I am able to solve it.

Hi, I just found the culprit! The “Use Modifier Stack” button was checked, and a subsurf modifier was applied. Unchecking the box solved the problem! (That’s what I get for checking a box without understanding what it does :no:). Do you think this would still qualify as a bug?

Thanks again for your help!

~Adam