I think I'm doing something wrong.

I’m incredibly inexperienced in the field of animation, but I’m trying desperately to improve my nonexistent skills. I’ve downloaded rigged models that have textures (which aren’t showing in rendering, for some reason), but I am having trouble animating them. I’ve been clicking millions of icons to fix it, but I think I’ve made it worse.
Here’s what I’ve tried;
Pose the object.
Select mesh.
Press I (the yellow keyframe thing shows up).
Try to repeat, but previous pose is lost.

Every time I pose the object, it sets permanently to that pose until I change it.

What am I doing wrong?

I usually first set the frame, 10 for example, select all Pose Bones A, press I, insert keyframes LocRot for selected pose bones.
Then repeat the process on a different frame.

I wouldnt usually add keyframes to the mesh object.

How do you do the LocRot thing?

If your textures aren’t showing up when you render try making sure there’s a material assigned to the mesh, then in the material panel select the meshes current material and scroll down to options (still in the material panel) click the “face textures” option so it’s activated. You can also check the face texture alpha button but I’ve never noticed any difference.
Hope this helps :slight_smile:

LocRot stands for location rotation, after pressing I select from the Keyframe Menu. Or set it as a Keying Set.
http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=69888
This will add keyframes for location and rotation xyz.

Is that the menu I’m supposed to see? I’ve read about it, but I’ve never had it pop up.

Yep.
Im not sure what to say, heres a file: http://www.pasteall.org/blend/28479
Its an armature in pose mode, press I in the 3D view, or select a keying set from the Timeline header, then press I.

If you have a keying set already selected in the timeline header then the menu does not popup. But the header will flash a message “successfully added x keyframes for keying set xxxx”.

If you saved a startup file with a keying set selected it will keep it selected in new files, and you will never see the I menu.

How do I know if I selected one?

The timeline header field will have something in the field, otherwise blank, click the X to remove the keying set from use.

BTW FKLegs is my own keying set so you won’t see it in your list…

Thanks! Will I have to make my own keying eventually?

The keying sets that come with Blender are very comprehensive and should be fine for most purposes. It depends on how you animate, in my case making my own keying sets allows me to do the animation for different parts at different times without making a lot of keys in the curve editor and action editor…

Good news! I got it to work!

. . . Until I deleted it to get a fresh start. :S

Now I can’t remember how I applied the armature to the mesh. I remember selecting one thing, then another, then Ctrl P, then clicking something. What are the things and in which order do I click?

Also, can I pose something symmetrically?

Select the mesh then select the armature then ctrl P and select armature deform and choose your option either with empty groups or automatic weights. (there’s also envelope weights but you don’t need to go there yet)