Need Help. Yep its arm twists ...again

Hi I’m luisberg and Ive been trying to find an answer for Forearm Twisting for almost two years. I’ve been looking up tutorials on how to properly rig an Arm without having any deformations. But so far i keep running into dead ends. I tried using B-Bones, Shape keys, the two bone method and that’s pretty much it. Some people have told me that i needed to do some coding in order for the arm to properly deform but I’m not a coder! I don’t have the mind of a programmer. I’m just an aspiring 3d video game artist trying to make a game. That’s all. Now what I’m asking is simple: Will someone tell me or send me something that will explain how to properly rig the entire arm with total control. A video would be nice because i cant learn anything from reading stuff I’m kind of dyslexyk. I already know about the DVDs, sorry but i cant do those. I have no money buy them, Im very poor. I’ve looked up all tutorials about rigging and i pretty much know what to do. Its just that this arm twisting is getting me frustrated. Please, Im begging you. I recently graduated back in august last year in Digital Media Design and i have yet to find a job and I’m really hoping that when i do publish a game im making i can use the money that i get back from it and use it to get my self more equipment like a new computer, software, make films and use blender as a vfx editor. Please. Can someone help me? I would deeply appreciate it. Thank you.

um i hate to keep asking for more but would you mind showing me step by step how you achieved the twisting?

Download the sintel model from blendswap, and see how she was set up. It is clearly the best rig ive seen that solves awkward arm twist. However i dont see your problem with shape keys. Shape keys allow you to have the say in the final pose!

Can you provide a model for me. I tried to get the sintel model from blendswap and for some reason i open it once downloaded and it say its damaged or broken.

Most of the time unexpected Twisting is the result of bone axis not being alighned properly… or a bone ‘flipping’ issue when the bone reaches gimal lock which can be prevented by making good choices with which Rotation Order you choose…

note… Quarternion is good but not in all cases…

note too… IK chains are the most common place where flipping will occur… in most of those cases it will be Rotation axis alignment issues…

note three… sometimes creating a parent bone for the offending ‘flipper bone’ that stands between the ‘flipper bone’ and it’s current parent can solve the issue… Adding in this extra bone to the chain causes the Rotation of each bone in that chain to be lessened… that is shared… across all bones in the chain… and cuts the chances of any one bone reaching the effective flipping point (the 360 degrees back to zero degrees horizon)…

Maybe I am missing something but didn’t Nathan Vegdahl rig Sintel and also make Rigify? I’m sure that Rigify rig has all of Sintel’s main features. Actually, I’m sure it has more. So if that is the case, why reinvent the wheel? All you need for proper deformations on a biped is good weight painting if you start with the meta rig.

Just curious if I am over looking something.

Oh, and nice arm rig dirty-stick.

I think the Rigg used for Sintel controls more than just a Mesh but also a Deform Latice if I’m not mistaken…

I pretty much know how to control arm twisting now. I made my own arm rig and copied the setting and the vertex groups based off the blend file that was given to me. But it be really nice for one of the blender professionals to go into depth of arm twisting or make some type of plugin that adds bones that help with twisting other than B-Bones or they can tweak b-bones to where it approoately solves the twisting issue. Just saying.

I’ve been using B-Bones for awhile now… I never have a problem with the twisting in the forearm… Unexpected Twisting and Flipping is the result of misaligned bone axis (some times the parent of a bone will contribute to this behavior…) most of the time… all the bones in a chain need to have all their axis aligned (pointing in the same direction in the Rest Pose) … secondly any and ever bone will twist and flip unexpectedly if it is rotated to extreme extents… this is a problem inhearent to all 3D software… it is the nature of the beast… if you are new to Rigging … Twisting and Flipping problems are the first things you need to understand and be able to solve… (this knowledge will well pay off in the end) Some day some one will figure out how to make a math matrix that handles these issues… Quaternions get close but still have issues some times… Quaternions for Rigging were invented to solve the 'twisting and flipping issues…

go here to see the guys who first applied Quaternions to Rigging

http://www.isner.com/tutorials/quatSpells/quaternion_spells_14.htm

anyway… this is not a Blender issue…

but point well taken … we all hope for better tools in the future… no arguement there…
Just understand… it’s a bigger issue than what your seeing as…

I at this point will highly recomend the excellent “Humane Rigging” tutorial by Nathan Vegdahl… his dvd sells in the blender store… if you can’t afford that most of what is on that DVD is on YouTube… if you can manage to get through it (I’ve done it over many times just to make sure I got everything out of it) then you will be much better off than just grabbing a premade Rigg and trying to hammer it into what it is that you are doing…

Nathan knows his stuff… and he also knows how to teach it…