Teenage Soldier

Hi,
After three weeks i finally got him finished. I was inspired by the Daily Spitsculpt topic “World War 1 Soldier”, but as usual i needed way longer than those 45 minutes anyway, I turned it into something more polished (first thing I ever truly managed to finish). Everything is done in Blender apart from texture painting, which I tried to do in Mudbox this time-Damn, feeling like a traitor now :D- and quite a bit of compositing and retouching using Krita.
Hoping nobody notices that i completely forgot any kind of facial hair :stuck_out_tongue:

Enjoy!

Wallpaper version with some pseudo-deep inscription:

1 Like

Nice work, it’s seems like a hand drawing. Nice textures. Gongrats!

this is really impressive, it looks more like a painting than CG. Would love to see some pre-retouching renders. How much of this comes from the texture painting, vs. post work?

Most of the look really comes from texture painting and image compression artifacts :smiley: I did the Base in Mudbox and added visible brushstrokes and definition in Krita. In post, i added all the passes together, relighted some parts, enhanced the AO and sharpened everything using a hhighpass of my skin texture. I will show you the original render tomorrow when I found it in the abyss of my hard drive.

Really nice looking piece of artwork suboptimal.

5 stars from me.

nice “MAD” vibe you got there. :slight_smile:

Very nice style and texturing! Good to see this finalised! What’s happening with the hipster guy?

Unfortunately I can’t justify the cost of Mudbox right now. I need to practice texture painting in Blender before I can even understand and compare features anyway. :slight_smile:

This looks great, I’m glad you took the time to polish it! Really nice concept and execution. Do you find texturing in Mudbox to be enjoyable? Do you have a lot of control over the brushes like you do in Photoshop? I really wish Blender gave you more control over brushes in texture painting, but maybe I’m just being lazy!

Nice materials and lighting, and really great textures! 5 stars from me!
And it reminds me of the character from MAD as well!

Thanks for all your Feedback, this project means a lot to me :slight_smile:
Personally, I find that Mudbox isn’t nearly worth the price, I wouldnt even have touched it if there wasnt a free student version of Autodesk products. The brush engine is nothing special, really the only features that it has Blender does not are quick Color Correction on the fly and a proper layer system with masks.

I used it in this case because i could reach higher polygon and texture res than in Blender, but the software itself really isn’t that great.
Currently theres a new tex painting software in beta, Substance Painter, which is seriously amazing, it has Material and Multi Channel Painting and the price is very reasonable. Please dont get me wrong here, I’m not advertising for anyone, I just think that there are things that can be done more easily with other pieces of software.

About the hipster…I really liked (shouldnt be talking as if he passed away, right :D) the model itself, but i think now the accessoires dont really fit the style . I should probably get in there and try to make a good-looking render as is.

Raw Render:

I had two passes of the helmet, the second having a greenish paint material applied that i used to lighten up some parts and give some it more interest.

Very good indeed :smiley:

I’ve heard of Substance Painter, and have seen some really interesting looking video of it in use. The particle paint idea is a really cool and brilliant concept! Do you know if you need Substance Designer in order to use it, or is it something that can be used by itself to create texture maps?

Love it!!
Very well done.

You don’t really need it as far as i know, but i think the software is construed to be used with Designer. In there youre supposed to create the base materials for your model, with all outputs like diffuse, spec, roughness and normal, and then blend and refine all these maps. That’s just my glimpse of the workflow, I haven’t really had the opportunity to test it, so i suggest you to ask masterxeon1001, he seems to be quite experienced with that. You will need a pretty good PC or Mac tho since the BPR preview sucks a lot of computation power, at least in my case.

Thanks Michalis, I feel honored :slight_smile:

Lol i like. Very funny.

looks like Jimmy Carter

Well the render looks good, though I’m pretty sure this is an insult. Pretty much everyone fit for service in any country was pressured or drafted into fighting. It was to the point where it wasn’t really even your choice, but the choice of a sick society. I can’t find anything right with this picture, could you explain more?

I’m sorry, this really isnt meant to insult anyone. I just searched a headline that fits well to the characters facial expression, which seems to be pretty naive by me in retrospect. It shall make fun of the initial war enthusiasm of many young people because of the successful propaganda in WW1. I know this is a heavy simplification of the real circumstances, but it was really just meant to be an humorous element and not as an accusation to anyone. Sorry for that.

Top Row! Thank you so much! :slight_smile:

Oh, I’ll accept that. It is instinct to at least partly be drawn to war when you are of fighting age, and of course the young people hadn’t ever seen war, and so they joined.