Fluid Sim: Artifacts for water in glass

Hi!

Right now I am thinking about an animation for an enterprise. They use filter systems to get the water clean… and stuff. :wink:

The thing that bothers me right now: Blender fluid sim produces these artifacts (like here:

)when the fluid hits the obstacle. When I render an image I just go to sculpting and smooth them out. But for an animation? I thought about modelling the domain: When I model a glass I just copy and seperate the inside shell and make a closed domain from that. But When I try to calculate the domain behaves as if there is no inflow or fluid object. Can anyone give me some input or thougts on that topic?

Here is the .blend file demonstrating what I am talking about:

Domain_modelling.blend (533 KB)

PS: Yeah, I know - Blender seems to take the max with and max length and makes a cube out of it. Is there a way to pass that by?

Ok, this one made me laugh so I’ll giggle out loud (tee hee hee).

But seriously, you can’t model the domain. The domain defines the volume where the fluid resides. Keep your domain a cube or square/rectangle. Take what you have modeled for your current domain and turn that into an obstacle with it’s Volume Initiation set to Both. The cube domain should completely contain your modeled domain. Size it for a close bounding box style match. You should avoid thin single plane walls in obstacles in general. So use a solidify modifier on the final mesh when you get your modeling done. Apply the solidify after you select a width thick enough to handle the velocity of your fluid inflow object. If the velocity of the liquid exceeds the width of the solidify or extrude amount then the fluid might pass through the wall.

Hey!
Well… usually I do what you said - that was just a small demonstration for my domain modelling as requested to make my words kina more understandable (good thing you could lough - that’s a good deed, I suppose :smiley: )
My core problem (thats why I tried modelling the domain in the very first place) are those artifacts visible in the picture of my inital post.
Now … HOW is it possible to animate a glass of water (poring the water in) given a domain, a glass (obstacle) and an inflow while avoiding the artifacts (and not smoothing them out using sculpting)?

As mentioned in the thread Richard posted, you have to increase the domain resolution until your memory usage is 1gb-2gb (yes, it must be that big). Also under Fluid Boundary increase smoothing from the default of 1.0 to 3.0. Then bake your simulation.

As far as fitting everything in the domain, you can make the domain as big as you like, but just leave it box style in shape. The size of the domain does affect calculation time that is why it is best to crop it as close as you need to the fluid object participants.

If you have not downloaded the regression files, that is a good place to review some working demo BLEND files demonstrating various features of Blender.

Also, if you are not aware ofBlendswap.com have a visit. There are quite a few fluid demo files there for download. Sometimes inspecting a working scene is a great way to learn.

Thank you very very much for your detailed answer! Helps a lot! Going to try that in the next hours.