CGHub has closed down

Apparently as of today CGHub is no more.

This is what the operators wrote on facebook:

No more CGHUB.

Sad day. Project CGHUB is officially closed.

The reason behind this extremely tough decision is personal and will remain private. It's absolutely not connected with business or any kind of technical difficulties.

On behalf of development team I would like to apologize to CGHUB users and fans for abrupt project closure and delay with its announcement.

If you have any kind of questions please send them to [email protected] . Can't promise replies to everyone though.

CGHUB wasn't ideal, but we loved it SO MUCH! :*(

Team Shakuro

Some are claiming its tied to the situation in Ukraine.

It’s terrible, cghub was best site to browse for inspiration, awesome stuff there… :frowning:

that sucks hard.

I had so many bookmarks for that site, it was also great promotional tool for artists.

:frowning: sad day.

Damn i had collected hundreds of inspirations. Plus there were quite the best artists out there. Too bad and unexpected.

It was well respected, professionals even had cghub awards listed on their site as an achievement, actually for some, their portfolio was cghub.

I was getting ready to “market” myself on their this month, just my luck.

don’t think there are any other site that operate like cghub, where it’s pretty much all art, no bull.

Other places feel kinda “cramped”

Indeed, CGhub was a sort of community/portfolio/linkedIN kind of page. A lot of artist payed good money for the services and also used it for much of their business. It will effect a lot of artist in a bad way. Some even lost countless pieces of art they didnt necessarily back up, which is still their fault, but point was at least a bit of warning would have helped them.

just saw it 10 min ago :eek:
CGHub wasn’t a small fish, i’m shocked.

Can someone else take over? Like how CGCookie took over BA? (not recommending CG Cookie – just some ambitious upstart?)

There is a post on Shakuro Facebook page about the situation. They were responsible only for the development the actual firm behid is/was Full Spectrum Digital, LLC. The servers were located in the US. There is no connection to Crimea, hackers, SSL bug. They state that even they were suprised, by just getting a “Guys, it’s over” message, without warning or explanations.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!:frowning:

I hope someone will offer to help take over.

People are suggesting that the recent opening of drawcrowd is somehow related

I got my portfolio overthere.
I also get featured on the top row.

Now I feel so sad.

For those who want to save some contacts or favorite images or at least favorite artists names, http://web.archive.org/
might come handy. Just search yournick.cghub.com

So apparently Shakuro, according to them, tried to do everything, from getting it sold to someone else, to pausing the closure…ect They also said CGhub was doing the best it has ever done and that the closure was basically because the owners, whoever they are just wanted it to go away. They wont even sell or give up the domain name.

Part of me hopes the owners are identified soon, because they are cowards. Plain and simple.

The owners are perfectly identified (10061 RIVERSIDE DR STE 78, TOLUCA LAKE, CA 91602-2560).

There can be lots of reasons for disappearing: e.g. they have seen too much and have entered the witness protection program :eek:.

That’s a bit rash and harsh - for all we know something dreadful happened in their personal lives. Until the actual reason and motivation is known, there is no use in calling them names.

Suppose the biz owners died in an accident and their family decided to stop all business activities, and there is no-one around who knows how to or wants to deal with CGHub? Still cowards even in their death? You cannot know at this point.

Not harsh at all. Given what was said, there is no logical or rational reason to shut everything down, lock up the domain name, and not let anyone else continue the project. They had nothing to gain by shutting it down, they didnt even have to do anything other than sell it off or let someone else handle it while they are dealing with whatevers happening.

Pay attention to the details given, if they are true then nothing rational was done and it was entirely selfish. Those making decisions which effect a lot of people, even their livelihoods shouldnt have a free pass for hiding from the reactions they may get. If they made the call, they should take the blame, not hide behind anonymity, its not a crazy concept.

Let’s not jump the gun here. Too many did already which resulted in Shakuro getting a lot of unnecessary heat. Let’s wait until we get an official response and hope that CGHUB will be able to continue under some other company (would be great if Shakuro could actually buy the site and run it completely themselves)

But yeah. It really sucks that this happened whatever the reason is. I really liked CGHUB :frowning:

At theoryanimation we’re building a new site that was inspired by CGHub for a while now. Maybe we’ll be next wave of it :slight_smile:

Sad to see it go, it was a great site!