Sci Fi Robot Model Help

Hi guys i am currently developing a game in blender and I need a character modeled for my game, but i am stuck and don’t know where to start or how to model this character. Any tips of how I would be able to approach this model would be appreciated.

This model will consist of a number of different three-dimensional shapes, undoubtedly created using mathematical surfaces (as opposed to polygon meshes). So, probably a good place to begin is to pick one piece … try to pick a real easy one … and learn how to model just that one piece. Then, go on to another piece. There are several dozen types and shapes of pieces here, and by the time you’ve learned how to model all of them by having actually done so, you’ll have a really good feel for how to finish the job by mounting all of these onto an armature and animating it.

If you’d prefer to study the animation aspect first, then … go to an arts-and-crafts store, buy a wooden armature and study that. Then, build this guy out of spheres and cylinders, mount those onto an armature as shown by many tutorials, and make him run and dance. Later, the spheres that are head and elbows and knees, and the cylinders that are arms and legs, will have to be replaced by those shapes that I spoke of.

Take your pick. Materials and lighting can come later – much later.

The robot image you posted have lots of detail on it. It can be confusing to look at. Picture it as simple parts like head, torso,arm and legs. There are lots of ball joints between those parts. Draw them out first. That will help you to visualize each parts in your mind. Think in 3D; how does it look like in front, top and side view?

As for getting started, do Google Video search on “Blender robot tutorial”, “Blender robot rigging”and “Blender robot animation”.

Don’t mean to hi-jack the thread here, but can you explain what you mean by mathematical surfaces?

Hey guys, thanks for all the tips, I decided to draw out the parts and model part by part and its going better then before. And also would you suggest leaving the parts seperated or join all the meshes if i rig it?