Select congruent edges

Hi,

is there a way to select all congruent edges within a mesh? For example, the white edge in the middle…

…is congruent to the two smaller edges that you see if I pull the longer edge to the right: (there is no face between the longer and the smaller edges)

I fix this by deleting the long edge, which also deletes the adjacent bigger triangle. Then replace it by two smaller triangles so that it looks like this:

Now there are only the two smaller edges, each shared by two triangles.

In a big mesh, a lot has to be fixed manually, so is there a way to do it automatically? I’m already using the mesh analysis tools to find these “double” edges, but replacing them is pretty much work.

Since you are just going for tris, it seems you could: select all nonmanifold, deselect the edges of the object if you do not have a closed surface, delete the remaining nonmanifold geometry and then fill holes.

Or just remove doubles =)

I wrote " (there is no face between the longer and the smaller edges)" - but I was wrong. Sorry for that. I solved it now like DruBan said. Before, I selected and deleted those “empty” triangles by selecting on of them, then pressing Shift+G (= select similar) “face area” (area is zero).
Thanks.