Object/material only receiving light and shadow from specified lights?

I’m playing around with the game engine once again and I’m trying to fake some lighting effects but I’m not sure how to do it. I have a spotlight that I only want to cast light on a specific object. (Perhaps via material wizardry?) Is there a way to achieve this effect? For example imagine a cube on a plane with a sun lamp. The cube is pitch black because the sun light does not affect the cube. I could then add a small spotlight pointing at the cube which would light the cube but not the plane which the cube is sitting on.

I’m trying to mix dynamic lighting/shadows with baked lighting. I have some rooms with shadow casting lights that make pretty shadows on the floor and the walls of adjacent rooms. Except the lights look terrible on the walls of the room they are in. So I was thinking of somehow making the walls not receive light from the dynamic lights in that room and use baked lighting there instead.

Hey… You could try a few things. For the Spot lamps there are a tic box that says …this layer only…I think… Not at my pc now.:slight_smile: if you use that it will only work on objects in that layer. The tic box is under your light properties. Then you also have the option to make a material shadeless…found under the materials tab. This makes that material receive no lights! So if you baked lighting on that objects it will remain the same regardless of lighting! Between these two methods I think you will be able to solve your problem!

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Lighting/Lights/Lights_In_Other_Contexts

The light group option does only not work in the game engine, you will have to use that this layer only option Shakedown metioned.

@Fluppi393
Well, it works fine for me in BGE! Check you’re in GLSL mode.

Never noticed or tried light groups! Learned something new… Awesome!