CUDA error with Blender 2.7x

Every time I try to do a Cycles render with 2.7 or 2.7a I get an error (in the top panel where it has the elapsed time, etc.):

CUDA error: out of memory in cuArray Create (&handle, &desc). I have the latest drivers for my video card, which is an nvidia GT635. I don’t get this error with previous versions of Blender (2.69 and earlier).

The CPU cycles render works fine, btw.

Any one have a clue how to fix this?

It’s not impossible that the 2.7x builds of Cycles need more VRAM than the previous ones (new features / overhead) - up to a point, where the GT 635 can’t keep up any more. Doesn’t Cylces render at all with 2.70 on your machine? Or does that error only affect certain scenes?

BTW, with “latest driver” you mean build 335.23? I’ve seen quite a few reports here recently about issues with Blender, CUDA and that NVidia driver. Might be worth trying to downgrade to a previous release.

Thanks for the response.

Cycles rendering is not the problem. I can render just fine with previous versions of Blender and the GPU. I can also render with 2.7x and Cycles if I only use the CPU. I find it hard to believe that Cycles is taxing the 1GB VRAM that I have. Was Cycles rendering changed that drastically between 2.69 and 2.70?

Isn’t there a registry setting that controls the amount of CUDA cores/memory?

Hi, I’m on ubuntu 13.10 and I use the ppa to update blender. Since 2 or 3 updates I had the same issue. But it was solve with the last update today. Now GPU works fine, as before. Hope it will be the same for you.

Are you talking about daily builds? I’m on Windows 8, so I’m not sure if what you’re suggesting will help me.

oups sorry, I don’t know why but I believed you were on linux. Yes I’m talking about daily builds. With the last ones, I had also a CUDA error even if CPU was working. I didn’t have the problem before.

But with the latest one, it works as before (git201404112155.e2cbfb7). Maybe you can try one the latest build for windows and see if it works again…I have a GeForce GTX 560 Ti

1GB is not as much as you think/hope. I had to ditch my 1GB card and just move one. It is odd that 2.69 works with the same scene and 2.7 does not. Are you using subdivision surface modifiers? If so try lowering one step and issuing a render again. Worse case scenario is just render on 2.69. Also if you are using images for texture maps try cutting their size in half and issuing a new render.

I am having the same error with Blender 2.7a. Had this issue with a small scene and a large scene.

Opened them in 2.7 and had no issues with either scene.

NVidia GTX 660Ti