Routing Audio into Blender? : Jack audio, DAWs, etc.

I don’t know if it’s possible in the current version of Blender, but I’d like to works things so I can have both Blender and a DAW open, and route the audio from the DAW into Blender – maybe through Jack audio (which according to the Jack website is compatible with Blender). The aim is to do sound design along with an animation without having to export .wav files and import them into Blender in a piecemeal way.

I haven’t been able to find anything in Blender support/documentation to suggest this might be possible, but I’m still curious. Maybe I’m asking too much??

Thanks in advance for the help.

Ardour with JACK used in conjunction with Blender on linux is quite old news now. But I’m not sure that it still functions. Google gave me lots of hits but mostly 2 years old.

Jack Implementation in blender for this task isn’t about routing audio through blender, it’s about Jack Transport, ie: syncing playback in Blender and the DAW via Jack Transport, you decide which app is going to govern playback and which will sync to it, link the two apps via say Ardours routing config and hey presto, sync’d playback, when you’ve finished your sound design sync’d to your animation in Blenders VSE, then export a high quality audio version from your DAW and either drop that into Blenders VSE along with your animation and encode via Blender’s limited options or render the animation out to an image sequence or YCC mezzanine and multiplex the audio file in with that image sequence / mezzanine to create your high quality final and then generate lower quality deliveries for web, DVD whatever.

OK cool. That’s actually very helpful – thanks. I saw a demo video or two of this kind of setup with Jack and Ardour. I’m using Reaper, and so far haven’t managed to figure out anything comparable. It’s actually my first time using Jack, so it’s slow going. Now trying to see how to get the JackTransport to work (rather than just audio routing). Appreciate your pointing me in the right direction.

Yeah, getting jack to work with a sound card or two can be a bit frustrating particularly on Linux, not sure what OS you’re using but from memory things like Jacks Realtime are not necessary and I had better performance via a USB external sound ‘card’ than internal or on the mobo. But I think that’s the general recommendation whatever for good quality audio. Good luck.