Another Portrait

Yo… :slight_smile:

here’s my latest attempt at a decent portrait. enjoy!

Updated Render. I added SSS for this render and worked on on some stuff you guys mentioned. :smiley:
Sorry for the low samples (500) but I had to cut the render short after 12 hrs :frowning:
I’m keeping the previous render because I’m not sure this is an improvement.

I realize there is a lot of room for improvement, (as always) :stuck_out_tongue: so please feel free to crit.

cheers,
RC

Attachments

Hello there, looking good !

Something I’d improve though is normal map and SSS. I dont really see subsurface scattering at all and normal map seems way too rough and strong! Also atleast my personal preference in portraits is soft lightning all over the face, now there seems to be quite dark area on the left side of her face.

i actually like this dramatic lightning with the strong shadow :slight_smile: a beautiful portrait, face is nice, eyes great, eyebrows and hair too well. anatomy of neck is not well (too wide where the two musclestrands meet at the center), ears look a little too flat( curvature that is seen from backview seems missing) her right nosewing seems way higher than her left…
a strong portrait, awesome work!

thanks guys. I might work on some of the stuff you mentioned :slight_smile:
@ jjjuho thanks for the crits man! I’m rendering out an SSS version now. it fixes or “adjusts” a lot of the problems like too hard bump maps etc. pity it takes so long. the current version was rendered on a Nvidia Gt 640 2Gb OC edition, and it still takes about 9 hrs… I can only imagine how much longer CPU is gonna be. :frowning:

@Doris the nose issue must be an optical illusion of some sort… the geometry is nearly perfect symmetrical… I’ll see what I can do about fixing it though. thanks a lot. I’ve learnt a whole set of new skills working on this project. I hope the next one will be even better.

cheers,
G

ok, when you say it is symmetrical in nose area, then move the lamp a little to change shadow slightly, i would not touch geometry if it is correct…

ok, when you say it is symmetrical in nose area, then move the lamp a little to change shadow slightly, i would not touch geometry if it is correct…

The illusion is due to the high light on the left part of the nose : it flattens everything in this area and so the nose looks assymmetrical.

Very nice portrait !

thank you Doris and Roubal! the spec map covers a large area of her nose. I could just lessen that and it will probably come right. :slight_smile: otherwise I can just change the light like Doris suggested.

cheers,
G

The thumnail did not look so great, but looking the image in this thread, I may say that it looks great, I agree with Doris, a few minor changes and it would make more impact, great work. About the light I think a soft fill light could help.

thanks Estuardorosales, I added a fill :slight_smile: not sure if its an improvement, (personally I’m with Doris on the lighting :wink: but I’m flexible, so yeah. feel free to C&C :smiley: )

I updated the first post. now with SSS goodness. :slight_smile: I had to stop the render after about 12 hours. sorry for the noisy image.

any thoughts?

I really love how it turned out! I like the softer lighting on the face in the top image. I also really like the shape of the nose!

thanks! I really appreciate all the good feedback and critique. here as well as the WIP thread. :smiley:

Cheers,
G

Not bad. The hair has room for improvement though.

yeah. but then, everything on this artwork has room for improvement. :slight_smile:

Really Good! :slight_smile: Thanks for sharing it