Textures load incorrectly upon rendering

Hi folks,

As of late I’ve been working on a fairly complex scene that is now in a phase to be rendered, however I’ve been experiencing an issue where some textures aren’t being loaded correctly upon pressing F12 to render the scene. To be more specific, I’ve noticed, that since I’ve added the final model, some of the previous textures in scene stop loading completely and end up becoming pink, however, when removing the last placed object from the scene, these textures load fine.

That said, I’ve been monitoring my Graphics Card’s Memory usage, and I still have 600+ mb still available when rendering in both these instances. Currently the scene uses 1.4 of the 2gb graphics memory I have. I’ve rendered scenes with far greater details and tons more textures than this scene. Below you can find two images showing the texture loading issue.

I’ve tested this in both, Blender 2.69 and 2.70, and both react the same.

Any suggestions as to why this might be happening would be greatly appreciated.

Blender Version: 2.70a
Graphics: GTX 660Ti 2gb
Ram: 16gb DDR3

Example of what is happening currently:

One quick way to see if it’s a GPU limitation is to render the scene in CPU mode and see if everything works correctly there.

It appears to be a GPU limitation of a sort. Strange to see this happen. Have never had an issue like this before since I bought the Graphics Card. Many thanks. Suppose this baby will have to be rendered on the CPU then.

hi Xelus,
Cycles GPU rendering has a limit of max 95 textures you can have in the scene. If you exceed this limit then you get the pink effect. So if you want to render with GPU make sure you use max 95 textures.

see http://www.systemagnostic.com/faqs/why-are-my-textures-suddenly-pink-purple/

Hi Padone

Thanks for the headsup, wasn’t aware that there was limit, however my scene is far below 95 textures. Currently I’m only using 56 textures with in the scene. But I did some playing around and optimizing as much as I could from the scene, and it is still doing the same. Thanks for the info.

Cheers

Also consider that some of your gpu memory is used by windows and by the opengl viewport. So if your textures take 1.4G it doesn’t mean you have 600M left. The gpu memory windows takes heavily depends on the “effects” turned on in the windows interface.

you may also find useful this link

If you are sure that you have free gpu memory left and that you didn’t meet the 95 ldr 5 hdr limit then please consider posting a bug on blender foundation, since it could be a very interesting issue.

bye :slight_smile:

Thanks my friend, appreciate the help. I’ve had previous images rendered at higher quality on more complex scenes using far more memory and were stable, but not worry, the CPU handled rendering it good so it shouldn’t be a big worry, it is the first time I’ve ever experienced such an odd bug in the GPU since I started using the GPU rendering.

Thanks a million