Exporting to Inkscape

Hello All,

I have access to a Laser Cutter in College (which is incredible fun by the way) and want to design and build a pin-hole camera for my final major project. Being a bit of a tech nut I decided that I’d design all the pieces on the PC and just laser them instead of faddling around with saws etc.

I’ve designed the camera in Blender with the exact measurements I need, what I need to do now is somehow get the parts into Inkscape to add pretty designs and export to emf. I’ve tried blender’s expot to dxf, but Inkscape can’t import it.

I was wondering whether anybody would be able to help me with this? Essentially what I need to do is convert my mesh into a 2d vector line with the exact same dimensions, that can then be opened in traditional vector software (inkscape, illustrator etc.)

Thanks, Money

EDIT: The depth of the mesh is not important as I know I’m going to be cutting 6mm ply and have taken this into account (all the parts are 6mm deep in the model).

That’s great, thanks.
I’d actually seen that elsewhere before I asked, but couldn’t get it to work (the download must have failed).
While that seems to export fine. the vector isn’t the same size as the model. I tested a cube that was 150mm in blender and it resulted in a square 87.6mm in Inkscape. Do you happen to know whether there;s a way to get them to match?

I’ve already set the scale to 1.0, but that doesn’t seem to fix it.

EDIT: Just tried it on my actual mesh and I get a rectangle without any detail (that isn’t the right size). Clearly this isn’t going to cut the mustard. What I really need is to just export the vertices and edges.

Here results for blender square 150mm in inkscape are a bit different:
15000x15000 px or 149.6x149.6 mm depending on how and what is set in export options and inkscape.
I wouldn’t say they are so inprecise. Can not comment on the rest of your export problems: you provide no examples.

Things to keep in mind are: 1 inch = 2.54 cm ; screen resolution 72 px/inch; inkscape default print resolution 600 px/inch