Creating Textures Legally

Hey guys,
So I want to sell a model on turbosquid.com. But I’m not sure about all the legal aspects of the model. I use http://search.creativecommons.org and find images that I paint on my model (which go’s on it’s texture). I check both “use for commercial purposes” and “modify, adapt, or build upon”. So is it ok for me to use these resources in my model? I feel pretty positive it is but I want to be sure first.
Thanks.

Generally, yes thats fine, especially if its painted directly onto a 3d mesh. Photosources can often be manipulated and such, though I would recommend making use of cg-textures.com and then creating your own variations in a 2d editting software for use with projection painting.

Sadly its also a common practice, not that I recommend it, for artist to just use google image search. There was one tv show that a certain unammed matte painter worked on, and they literally used the emerald city from the wizard of oz as part of it, making a few changes so its not immediately recognizable. I dont approve of this, but its so common that its hard to really see anyone getting in trouble at this point. Generally I would advise just photomanipulating textures into your own creation and go from there.

I’d rather google for stock sites, not textures directly. Then read the FAQ or license, most have terms like “do what you want, but dont use unaltered or minimally altered, or to compete with our site”.
The meaning of “minimally altered” is shady, but as long as you dont include the texture itself in your model, just use it as brush, you should be fine when using textures from above-mentioned sites.

Ah, thanks guys I felt like that was the way most people work with textures. I’ll just use royalty free textures for painting with heavy photo manipulation I guess. If anyone knows of any good tutorials on creating textures please let me know its something I really have problems with.