Fluid sim problem...

Hi,

Sorry for yet another stupid fluid sim problem help beg post.

I can’t get my fluid sim to work at all in blender 2.7. I have to do a visualization for my customer about some fluid containig objects, and I tried to turn my model into obstacle and create a fluid sim inside it. It’s very simple: only one object as a obstacle with a fluid object inside it and domain outside. The container is rotating, so that the fluid swings inside it.

I just can’t get the sim to bake properly. The domain doesn’t react to fluid object at all, though it seems like it starts the baking. I thought my scene was too complicated (since I got similar kind of simulation to work fine with new file and only basic objects) and tried to simplify the scene, but no help. In the end I had exactly the same kind of setup as earlier in the succesful test file. Still, the simulation refuses to work, although I’ve done every basic fix multiple times: check normals, apply scales, increase resolution, recreate the objects, check all the settings…

Could anyone help? This is driving me crazy…

When you try to start the sim do you see the fluid sim progress bar in the Info Editor next to the drop down menu where you can choose either Blender internal or Cycles renderer?

Yes, the bar starts to progress, but then after 10-20secs it just stops in the beginning and -> no simulation.

Have you tried to append your fluid sim object to a different .blend file and simulating there?

Thanks for the tip, Lumpengnom. I tried it, and while it didn’t succeed, I randomly happened to get it to work. I just had to remove all the fluid modifiers, and then put them on the objects again, but this time Domain first and then others. I don’t know how that’s supposed to affect anything, but I didn’t do any other thing differently.

The sad thing is, I still don’t manage to reproduce the effect in original file… I guess I just have to redo everything to a new file, because appending the whole scene didn’t work :frowning:

Finally I tracked down the real problem… It was all about the cache directory! For some weird reason Blender can’t write into my hdd hard drive, but everything works fine when i bake the simulation in the SSD folder. That’s really weird, but I’m happy that I can do the work now… Does somebody know why Blender behaves like this?

Thanks for the help, Lumpengnom!

I have encountered problems with Blender pathing in the past based upon different drive types. When things are not working right I try turning off relative pathing when browsing to a file to path.