Shadeless material shadow paradox

… an interesting paradox here: for a 2,5D animation i use a shadeless material for the imported image on a plane to get it in the original color. As it is shadeless it is logical that it doesn’t get shadows from other objects but in terms of viewing patterns it is still illogical when there’s no shadow on an object that stands behind another object. I had a try with a diffuse material, intensity set to 1.0 and specular to 0.0 but the result is not practicable because it is not the original color and the resulting shadow is too dark. I’m wondering if somebody had the same issue and found a way out of this dilemma?

Example screenshots:

Hey

I shuld run some tests but… culd u render shadow pass seperately than compose?

Just my two cents.

Take care

The simplest solution is to not use Shadeless at all. Add a half power Hemi lamp to your scene to bring up the colors to where they need to be. Also turn down the Specularity intensity to 0.0 on the image plane materials to simulate shadeless or have the lights generate only diffuse energy.

Here is a color comparison between the original RED from the imported image and the rendered result.

The colors are pretty close. You will probably encounter a bigger color shift when you render your final out to a deliverable movie format.

Attachments

27_shadeless_shadow.blend (157 KB)

Thank you for your input, Vandorius and Atom :slight_smile:
@Vandorius: yes, passes are the next step for experiments when there’s no other solution. I will give Atom’s solution a try and see what’s happening.
@Atom: Wow, you even picked my little boxes for testing :slight_smile:
This is an interesting approach - i will try it on the weekend with some cartoon characters and give you feedback how it worked.

@Atom: The hemi light works perfect. Thank you for this quick and easy solution :slight_smile: