Of Elves and Sheep...

I’m a 2D artist (cartoonist) who got into 3D art - mainly texturing - when modding Morrowind, and from there went to making my own game. Some things I already know how to do, while other things I need to figure out in the process. Most of the problems I’ll run into are probably going to be script related since I have very little experience with coding (again, the experience I have comes from modding Morrowind, and is limited).

The game is going to be a 3rd Person Fantasy RPG With Elves. Yes, I should probably do Moving Cube or something before starting the advanced stuff, but I know that to be motivated and find it meaningful, I have to create a game of a kind that I would actually want to play. The main goal is not a finished game, but to learn and to have fun in the process. I’ve also split it up into smaller, more manageable steps.

The full game with how combat is going to work, skills, attributes etc is already pretty much planned, although not the major quests (just rough outlines). I also have a good idea of the culture of the people. What I’m currently focusing on is one small piece of land which contains a camp, some resources, a few animals and a few NPCs. I’ll make that camp “playable”, as in, you can interact with the NPCs and animals and harvest the resources.

Current stage of progress: There are 3 tents (2 big ones and 1 small) which yet can’t be entered, 1 fire pit without fire, 3 adult male elves and one player character (also an adult male for now - and I haven’t made any hairs or clothes yet), and one desert rat type animal which I call a springrat. The NPCs and the rat have idle animations. The player character can walk around camp and the camera is following him and can zoom in and out but not yet rotate. There are also some rocks and sparse vegetation, a sack, and a pot.

The game doesn’t have a title yet. I guess a suitable current title would be “Bald Elf Walks Around Camp In His Underwear”.

Some pictures:
Huge Rat Attacks Camp!
"Dust Rose"Player meets rat
Male elf face
Pot and sack
Tree with berries

Well you seem to be on the right track, probably why not try and aim at making some sort of a simple “template RPG” for Blender ?!

Just an idea :slight_smile:

Idk. There are others who have done that as far as I know. I don’t feel like it right now and I don’t think I’m good enough to make a template (yet).