Vancouver Blender Group (60+ members now!)

2015 Update:

We’ve grown so much in the past 5 months. There are 65 registered members now and growing every day. We meet once a month and discuss, share, and learn Blender. If you are in the area, drop by and say hi!

Vancouver Blender User Group

Hi Mike,

It’s been attempted before (I was part of the first Blender user group here in Vancouver), but it sort of fizzled out. There was also a Blender game dev group, which just shared the same fate last month.

Where do you plan to meet up?

I’ll join up, and hopefully it will work out this time!

I know of the Game Dev group, do you have more information on the first Blender user group? It might be helpful to see if any of them wants to join the new group.

Blender has a very vibrant indie-game community, as well as a lot of media/animation students. I was inspired by Oscar down in Seattle who had managed to keep one of the best BUG running for years now, so I imagine there must be people who will be interested.

Edit: A quick Google seem to suggest you put together quite a few meetups before. Would you be willing to give me some pointers? I am happy to take on bulk of the work, but if you have access to facilities or mailing list or whatnot, I happy to make you an organizer.

We used to meetup a bunch of times at one of the downtown colleges I taught at (nice facilities), but that venue is no longer accessible. But less and less people started coming.

I believe you should contact Oscar and ask him for pointers, since our approach did not work out so well. We met up every two months initially. I do think the meetups should be held at a public place, and it would be nice to have access to a projector. We had trouble with deciding how to approach the content and schedule of each meetup.

Sorry, but I currently have no time on my hands to become an organizer :frowning:

Okay Herbert, thanks for your comment.

Yeah, I would have to see where I can secure a facility. The first meetup will probably be at a coffee shop, then, maybe GNWC?

Still looking forward to meeting you at the meetup though!

For <= 10 people the Public Library has meeting rooms but looks like they can only be reserved for 2 hours at a time on the day of.

http://www.vpl.ca/events/details/accessing_free_public_space_at_vancouver_public_library

Thanks jandress, that’s a good idea. If you haven’t done so, please sign up on the Meetup site as well so I can reach out to everyone.

The Network Hub in Vancouver has graciously agreed to let us use their downtown office for the meetings. Photos from the last event can be seen here: http://www.meetup.com/VancouverBlender/photos/25767907/#433710657