What are the difference between using the Blender zip version and the install version

What are the difference between using the Blender zip version and the install version?

One installs to your program files directory, the other resides wherever you decide to unzip it.

So no difference on working?

None at all.

AFAIK, the installed version of Blender allows your computer to display thumbnails for the .blend files, while the zipped version does not.

The Blender zip file is the standalone version. There really isn’t a difference, however, the standalone version is a lot more flexible in many ways. You can save hard disk space by storing the zip or standalone version on an external hard drive.

I personally do not like installing Blender. I like using the standalone version because every time there is a new release or a “release candidate”, I can compare the two and easily erase them later.

the zip version comes with all the testing add ons un availaible in the install version…i prefer daily download builds

Not true. Thumbnails display just fine in the zipped version. I prefer not to install at work because I don’t have admin rights to my laptop, so I wouldn’t be able to add any scripts if I installed it.

You worry about saving HD space from installing Blender? Man that made me giggle a bit.

I’m sorry, I should have clarified more. I meant you couldn’t see the thumbnails in the windows explorer when using the zipped version. I didn’t mean that you couldn’t see the thumbnails when you browse to the files from inside of Blender.

Ahh – you mean when you install Blender, Windows will allow you to see thumbnails of the .blend files? I guess that could be useful, but it’s not a really good reason (for me) to install versus unzip and go. Good to know.

Just run “blender -R” from the command line. It should allow you to see thumbnails, even in zipped versions.

Well, the real reason is that the Zip version is only 3.48 gigabytes, whereas the install version … (Whups! Wrong product!):wink:

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Basics & Interface”