Texture Paint... doesnt save texture when save .blend

Texture Paint… doesnt save texture when you save .blend file

… WTF!!!

F*** yooooooouuuu!!!

…grr… at least I was only working on it for like 5 hours… couldve been worse… …
omfg…

first time i used texture paint… i usually use GIMP…

lame as hell…
at least blender is free… if it wasnt… id rage directly at them…

that’s because you have to save the image as an image file.

The easiest is to initially save your new blank image to a file name in your directory, then use Alt-S over the image every few minutes to save your progress over the initial save - unless you want to try something new and save an iteration, then you can use F3 in the UV image editor to save a new image by pressing the + to increment the filename.

would think it would save with the .blend file though… its sooo lame… :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:
i spent soo long making my texture just Perfect!!! … and now its gone… sooo weak…

and i thought it was going to save me time… pffft… i was wrong… PoS…

You think that textures are saved with a blend file automatically… did you think this was true with Gimp as well? Did you not need to save to a directory and name your image there, and confirm? Best bet when doing computer work is to save often, and be very deliberate in your naming and location of your files.

idk… its … file -> save
… it should save…

hmm… a comparison would be…
in unity, i make a particle system thing… when i say save the scene, it saves it…
hmm… in gimp i think it saves gradiants automatically like this too??

blender saves animations with the .blend file… …

in fact, in unity i wouldnt need to save scene, it auto saves every asset in the project folder…

People will fight you on this, but you’re right. Blender should absolutely save texture paint work upon file save, or at least give a reminder that there is unsaved work in your project before quitting. You’re not the only one who has lost hours of work to this.

Blender does warn you that you have unsaved work on mac. On windows, no it doesn’t.

Even if you’ve just saved your .blend but not your image painting?

It warns you that you have something changed that needs saving, it happens when I am lunch at work where I get to use a mac - the dialog comes up and asks if I want to close, and that I have unsaved changes, and this has happened even after saving the blend. At lunch all I do is paint in the editor, rarely ever get to the 3d view unless I get something that needs color.

I agree this is a real problem, i remember the 1st time it happened to me, fortunately it wasn’t for something really serious but still it was a real pain to see all that time completely wasted.
Even if you’re aware of that annoyance, the fact is that it can still very easily happen tha you just forgot to click on File -> Save As Image before saving the .blend and closing Blender, losing all your long texturing paint work

Well, in Blender’s defense, you’re basically painting to a UV map, which is accessed as an external file (unless, of course, you pack the image into the Blender file). That being said, I agree that it should save the texture paint file with Ctrl S.

Heh, I think we are all assuming too much - so Blender saves on exit automagically, then you are stuck with a file that has written over your last ‘Untitled’ work from the previous session by saving your 5 hour session of painting on top of the last session of five hours… You have to save an image to a file name, be deliberate in what you intend to do. I do think that if you were to name your new texture image there in the editor or the properties panel, then you should be able to write an addon to help you save - but that functionality already exists partially in the Texture Paint Layer Manager addon in the 'Save All Painted Images" button.

I don’t personally want to lose my work because Blender makes a decision for me that I don’t agree with, and the bulk of complaints of this type have to do with being unfamiliar with how the images are handled in Blender to begin with. Psy-Fi made a change that should be coming in 2.71 that defaults to adding an Image texture set to UV when assigning a default texture, making it easier to paint right away. Maybe you can ask for a tick button to autosave your painting in session to a buffer like the blend file saves of .blend1, .blend2, etc.

fast forward almost a decade… and i feel your pain you captured my thoughts exactly and this is still the case even now, autosaves
should at least save out the textures being worked on, since we cant predict crashes, even if you do
save it initially, doesnt help when the thing crashes and messes up the texture files… so lame, lost about 10 hours of work from the thing because of it corrupting files… this should have been fixed by now but no it still does it, i blame windows more though, why? because windows (insert the thousands of reasons that you already know about here)

Except now, if you choose ‘Image’ > ‘Pack’ in the 2d Image Editor, you will be able to paint away on that image and when saving the file, the closing will prompt a 'Save (x) modified images(s) option before closing, and those changes will write to that packed file that is NOT saved to disk as a separate image file. Very handy nowadays, a decade later.