Newbie requests help with Array Modifier+Empty

I’m a new Blender user, I’m trying to use the array modifier with an empty. -Basically I’m trying to arrange a series of flattened cubes, (like steps) around a central empty, like a spiral staircase. But my steps are created in several different sizes, scaled on the Z and Y axes, and offset from each other on the Y axis - which is not what I want.

Here’s what I’m doing: I scale a cube to be in the shape of a flat step. I move the step so that the left edge is on the center, aligned with the center of the 3D cursor. I add an Array modifier, set the count to 4, set X,Y, & Z Relative Offsets to zero (so that the four steps are coinciding with each other). I add an empty. I select the cube (step), turn off Relative offset, turn on Object offset, select Empty.

–when I do, my steps jump to the left (on Y axis, and each one scales on the Y and Z axis. I seem to be doing everything that the YouTube spiral staircase tutorials instruct, and I cannot find any controls that are specifying scaling or translating on any axes…

Any suggestions gratefully welcomed!! THANKS!

Put the empty on the same location as the object. Clear rotation on cube and empty. Rotate empty on z axis, makes a circle with the object or objects. Then set the z axis up some.
Some of your terminology may be wrong. Don’t scale, offset.

I scale a cube to be in the shape of a flat step. I move the step so that the left edge is on the center, aligned with the center of the 3D cursor.

If you do this in Object mode you would get the symptoms you describe. Add cube and in edit mode scale and move it aside from center.
Then in Object mode add Empty and Array modifier to the Cube. Add Count, rotate Z Empty and move it Z.

YES! ~ Thank you, kazinger and eppo. kazinger, I think my terminology is ok. eppo, that did the trick! I learned a very basic thing here, that I didn’t know before - about the difference in Object and Edit modes, and how the center point does or does not move when scaling/translating, etc. Thanks again!

I guess I read it wrong. i thought it said scale.