Yellow Seaplane in a Desert

Latest Render:

Modeled with Blender 2.7. Rendered with Octane 1.5.
This is a non-commercial work intended as my interpretation of the original character that i in no manner, claim to have a copyright for, or any association with, whatsoever.

Moderators please notify if this needs to be taken down in the event of a possible infringement.

Thanks

I would work out his hair cut on front a bit more. It’s a very distinctive feature of the character and one which underlines his whitiness. I think this would round of the model here. You might also want to try toon shading or cell shading. Otherwise I like the model since it’s simplistic as the cartoon drawing not like the 3D movie version which simply sucks.

I am probably stating the obvious, but a freestyle render might look interesting. hey odjin, good to see you.

Updated the first post with a new render. The plane is not textured yet. On to that now. Here’s a close up of the plane:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]301241[/ATTACH]

Updated first post with latest render. Close up of the plane:

WOW…DAT TEXTURING
looking totally sick…will look forward to the progress on tintin :slight_smile:

Add some clouds. Also, I would suggest making the landscape feel bigger. It looks like he’s on a sand dune, but it feels like the camera is pointing a little upward since we don’t see any further dunes. Like either make the smaller dunes in the picture part of a much larger dune that he is standing on, or make the landscape bigger bringing even more dunes in the distance getting smaller. I don’t know if that made sense. I really like the plane by the way!

love the style

That plane is fantastic. Love the detail.

…perhaps he’s a bit too clean? Is he lost and has he just been found…hard to tell right now. Looks like he just stepped outside for lunch. :slight_smile:

It looks really nice overall!

I agree with Odjin with working Tintin’s hair cut on the front.

And maybe you could add a bit more of facial expression on his face, if you move his eye(pupil) a bit up closer to his eyebrow it would give the feeling like he’s looking in the sky because of the sound of the airplane coming behind him. :slight_smile:

Latest Update. Worked mostly on fine tuning the textures. Dirtied the clothes as suggested.
I was thinking of doing a minimalist background first, but now i think i will let the desert stretch a bit into the distance with some hills and an old fort visible in the background. Similar to the desert level from Battlefield Bad Company 2, if anyone remembers that.

The hair i do not want to focus on too much for the reason that i am not trying to exactly copy the character, but get more of a ‘vibe’ of it. Although i wouldn’t say i have been exceptionally imaginative with that. Same reason why i am not going for a freestyle render - the idea is to not recreate the 2D comic book style but to reinterpret it in 3D. That’s why the blue mesh that was my sky (so that i could have a tighter control on its color) has given way to Octane’s physical Sun+Sky.

Please feel free to continue to comment/criticize. Appreciate the feedback.

Thanks

Anuraag

The dirt on your guy is not reading very well, you might want to push that dirt to look more er…dirty. Well you can’t see it very well and it has a big impact on the drama…just like the plane has a strong dirt texture :slight_smile:

Back from a short vacation. I will work more on dirtying the clothes. Meanwhile here’s some progress at a castle/fortress for the background:

oooooh! love that design!

Well done. You could add some motion blur the airplane

Is that needed? I already have motion blur on the propellers. Considering it’s a daylight shot, probably shot with a smaller aperture and a fast shutter speed, do you think there would any more blur?

Meanwhile, here’s more progress on the fortress in the background. Inspired, in equal parts, by the Taj Mahal and the Hagia Sophia.

Kinda stating the obvious with “This is a non-commercial work intended as my interpretation of the original character that I in no manner, claim to have a copyright for, or any association with, whatsoever.”, since Blender is open source and you’re unlikely to be re-distributing this under a brand-name it doesn’t really apply.

Anyway, I love TinTin so well done on choosing and re-creating a scene from an iconic series and film. I’d maybe add a displacement or normal map to the desert ground, add some stones in and maybe some clouds… Looks a little scarce at the moment.

Before continuing with the background, i thought maybe it would be a good idea to spend some more time on dirtying the textures on the main character. So here’s the result of that:

Here’s the latest render. Not entirely satisfied with the background yet. Especially the hills. Need to figure out a quick way to get good looking hills. Please do let know what you think of it.

Good work here! I guess you could give a little haze on the hills to give more focus to the character and airplane. On the sand, it bothers me a bit, you could add a mapping for greater raised signage. The shadow seems too harsh, it could be a little smoother. But anyway, nice progress. :wink:

With the scale you show the colors don’t fade with the atmosphere…they would have a lot more blue tint and less saturation. The details are unbalanced so its hard to see your focus in the composition. I think you have too much detail showing for your building in the background, right now it is drawing the eye to it and not your main character.

The dirt on your main guy still looks far too clean. I don’t see any dirt, his sweater looks freshly cleaned and ironed. The elbows and collar are too white.

Isn’t the desert too hot for a sweater? :slight_smile: It would be the first thing I’d take off.

I’d say throw some real stains on the texture and see what happens.

the shadows don’t match up for the hills and building vs the main characters hard ground shadow.

The depth of field is nice for your close up of the main character…why not have that for the larger render too?

render #10 was looking better for over all color and texture.