LOD test

Here is my small test of Blender LOD system. What do you think about it?

Edit: I’ve posted wrong link, sorry for this, my mistake…

This is really good, every time I see a project like this I laugh at all the people who say BGE is not a real game engine or can’t make good games. Keep up the good work and make them eat their words.

Very professional looking! Pop a few enemies in there and have some fun!

Thank you very much for sharing
Amazing!!

Good golly. That looks like CryEngine 3! Nice use of Martins’ shaders.

The video itself seems a bit amateur. Some editing with a before/after would have been better than toggling the filters and occasionally bringing up the filter controls. (Just would have looked more professional).

I downloaded the “High” demo to try it out. It, quite simply, runs terribly. ~20fps on a Radeon 5970/FX6100. This type of scene in most other engines would run at over 120fps. It’s not the 2D filters that causes it to lag (disabling them causes little to no difference in performance).

very good!

Very nice, still some pop ins on the tree though.
PLEASE add a detail map on those rocks!!!

I wonder how it would look if rather than immediately swapping the LOD mesh, the old mesh faded out at the same rate the new mesh faded in. I think it would eliminate the “pop-in.” Of course, I don’t think the built-in LOD can do this but if you write your own it could pretty easily.

I’ve done something similar to this long time ago with both material nodes and python. Though it’s really messy to get it working for every object and also runs way slower than the built-in one.

I’ve been curious as to how the new one works. Is there any documentation? The system I used before the built-in was just a distance check to the camera. Is that basically how built-in works or is it something “faster” behind the scenes?

Here is my second attempt. There is more than 2000 objects at once on scene.

Your LoD is very discrete, and the terrain texture is awesome. How did you get such good resolution on such a large mesh?
The assets (grass/plants) seem a bit repetitive. I would add in a few scattered meshes to make the copies less obvious. Other than that, your dynamic lighting and LoD looks fantastic.

My last test with more than 10000 objects, and 500000 faces.

Most recent is marked private,

Very clean work :smiley:

Looks good, but looking good isn’t the problem with blender … the problem is that something looking good runs with 15 fps

Small update, added night and day system.

Awesome!! Once I finish up the draw call batching, we’ll get even better performance, especially with so many objects. It’d be really helpful if you could help me test that out later. That’d be a nice BGE tech demo :yes:

However, in this scene, it looks like the bottleneck is logic. If there are thousands of objects each with significant logic usage, it can add up. Fortunately, that should be easier to optimize. For example, repeatedly looping over KX_Scene.objects with 10,000 objects.