Dynamic Paint in the GE

Hi. I found several threads related to this, but not really an answer (and they were all old threads). I tried doing it with a weight map on decimate to make a dynamic LOD, and it works just fine in the viewport, but once I run it, it doesn’t work.

The modifiers not work on the LOD system and the dynamic paint not work with bge, and i think also the displace not work.

These modifiers will not work in the BGE.
You are unable to modify mesh data in this manner in the BGE at present.

Oh. That’s unfortunate. So, LOD on terrain is pretty much impossible without coding knowledge.

I would not say that, you can use the displace and decimate modifier if you apply theese to the mesh, and about the dynamic paint I’m not sure that makes(maybe You could say it does? to know if a similar effect is possible in the bge).

So you can make a terrain, divide it on tiles, apply the displace, and make copies of each tile and apply the decimate.

The trunk LOD is system is really quite powerful and works fine for terrain as well. I use it in my project, which you can see in my sig. The downside is the ton of manual labor needed to set everything up. The upside is that it can generate multiple LOD’s in two clicks. I really recommend checking it out.

the LoD right now is a bit flawed and very limited. It’s quite a good system, but many of the options don’t seem to work at all. In order for LoD to work in its present state, you have to disable any modifiers. I also have not been able to get the Generate, Show Mesh, and Show Material options to work.