Blender Artists need to support Project Gooseberry!

Hey guys, I just noticed that there are 194,034 BlenderArtists members, and only 1,672 supporters of Project Gooseberry. C’mon guys! If every BlenderArtists member donated two euros to Project Gooseberry, the goal would be reached and even exceeded! Come on, let’s do this!

I would if I could! Unfortunately I have no online funds to support it… if there were some kind of embed like images or links, or extra paraphernalia to spread around the interwebs, and “share” features, maybe that would help?

Not everyone believes in, has faith in or agrees with the decision to move forward with Gooseberry. If the interest isnt there, why bother donating? The BF seems good at making mistakes and keeping Blender in a state of constant mediocrity. If this begins to change, then so will some of the interest in further throwing money at their pet projects, until then. No thanks.

The nearly 200,000 members you are referring to also includes those who are no longer active in the community or even use Blender, you won’t find more than fraction of them still active on the forums (though the number might increase with the recent crackdown on toxic arguments).

The BF seems good at making mistakes and keeping Blender in a state of constant mediocrity. If this begins to change, then so will some of the interest in further throwing money at their pet projects, until then. No thanks.

personally, I think by now they should look at delaying the project for another year and instead work on general Blender development and the initiatives they have for 2.7x (interface, game asset creation tools, ect…).

If Ton intends to run out the timer and not look at the reality of the situation, then feel free to contact him with a full blown essay highlighting all of your grievances against his leadership so as to give him a better sense of it.

Many of those users just aren’t active anymore. There are usually only around 100-200 on at a time on here, so there goes most of your idea :stuck_out_tongue: but yes, most support would be nice.

Unfortunately Toxic = anyone with inconvenient opinions these days on BA. I am seeing this more often than naught, under the pretense of openess and diversity, the exact opposite is being enforced. History is repeating itself on more than one front… people never learn.

Delaying it would be wise, but also being smarter about such projects would be ideal. Wasting resources on a self proclaimed experiment doesnt inspire further confidence either. There’s no point in direct contact regarding such opinions as from what I have already experienced its just returned with hostility and claims of “poison”. You cant talk professionally with others if they live in a world where sentiment trumps objective thought, thus it boils down to the difference in perception and experience.

Lets just assume for a second that they meet the financial goal, it still doesnt cover the fact that nearly all these projects…especially when done through inexperience and or on a first time basis (or experimentation as they put it), end up going OVER budget. What then?
I just get the impression that mediocrity is an accepted part of Blender, rather that its embraced more often than naught. As mentioned in another thread, some very obvious development and basic functionality is written off as “trivial”. If so then perhaps gooseberry for some is also written off as trivial.

Actions and not words will have to change that impression. I think everyone can agree on that.

Well, for one thing, the toxicity of recent debates have kept most of the developers away from BA and Ton has been proposing the Gooseberry project for a while (well before project Mango started).

I don’t think the mods intend to lock out people who are not ‘Blender cheerleaders’, I don’t think they’re saying that you cannot offer criticism on Blender’s shortfalls. If one thinks that Ton needs to be hit with a dose of reality, then just wait for the funding amount to fall far short of the goal and then try to convince him where he should be taking Blender if he wants his future movie projects (and his life’s dream) to succeed.

I do think there’s a decent chance it won’t get close to the goal, but it’s not going to be near as massive a dud as first thought (I honestly thought it was possible it wouldn’t even get to 100K).

Well few seem to talk on points made, so its not “toxicity” of debates, but a regurgitating of information because some posters feel the need to respond while avoiding the content of the posts they respond do, thus very little real discussion is had. Implying that any debates or discussion on BA is the cause for developer inactivity on BA is just patently false. They were never really that active to begin with, and if they want to be then avoid the what…4-5 threads (out of thousands) where such debate was isolated in. Common sense really.

Why couldn’t these points have been made in one of the existing threads on the topic?

I donated, but only out of love for blender, not because I see gooseberry as a great project or because blender cloud seems like a good investment to me. I hate to say it, but I understand those who don’t donate. Gooseberry needs too much money for being a “fun experiment” that “can change things”… when there is money involved, people want specific results that are on par with the money invested… and too much of that money will be spent on artist time instead of developer time. Who here really prefers that? I’d prefer a waaay shorter film (maybe 30 min top), and have way more developers working on tools. After all, some are pipeline tools that need to be tested in production, other tools are individual that can be tested through users (paint, modelling, etc), and both are equally important. This project seems like the real winners are the creators who are just too excited of making a film, the users win too, but not even a quarter of what they could win from more developer time and a shorter film with clear milestones.

On the other hand, I hate that the first thing this project does production wise is run away from a challenge instead of embracing it. They adapt the story and design to fit the worlwide production, but the real challenge is working worldwide but maintaining design, story and quality through the film. It’s just not professional enough for me to say “We have so many studios!! How are we gonna make them consistent??” anwer: “We don’t, we just make a story that runs away from that challenge and lets every studio do what they want!!”. Mediocre to say the least.

I think its because “toxicity” and the claim that devs avoid BA because of our opinions lead to such a response, but really theres no thread specifically for that line of thought. It could be said that the nature of opinions and perceptions is directly tied to the donations this particular community is giving, which of course is on point with that discussion.

If you are referring to the OP’s thread in general, well yes it could be said that such a statement could be placed in the thread about funding gooseberry.

Bingo! Thats one of the primary reasons anyone would tackle a feature legth film for development purposes, its the primary challenge associated with big films and shots being sent around to different studios. Avoiding that and most important lesson one can learn from feature films has been lost. Its been mentioned before an aptly ignored.

Yes I was referring to the thread itself. If beating a dead horse is a rules violation then these redundant “support gooseberry” threads should be the first thing to go. Am I supposed to think if there were this many “don’t support gooseberry, it looks awful” threads they’d also be left up intact?