Help rigging a character

Hello. I need help rigging this model:[ATTACH]300241[/ATTACH]
as I’m not great at weight painting when it comes to human characters, and automatic weights do not work for models with clothes .

I’ll give due credit to anybody who helps out, and you can be sure to have my undying appreciation! :o

Hey Sun, what type of movements will you need your character to do?

I will be needing him to have separate bones for each digit in the fingers. Also a walk cycle, the general hand motions (waving, picking things up, pointing etc.) which I think will probably need a IK rig.

I know the basics when it comes to rigging, so I don’t want to complicate the task for ya much :slight_smile: I just suck at weight painting though. So I’d like it if you can help!

Well I didn’t get as far as having controls for the fingers but you can test it out and see if it’ll work for yah. Try the following link, let me know if/when you download it and I’ll remove it from my dropBox:

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Will/UH%20boy_Rig.blend?_subject_uid=93692513&w=AADzhsisaDBLCjW6m8zFmIOEC-2YJtCI-EtzW2z5VJP67A

Cheers!

Erm, well, it says I have to “sign in”. Couldja give a direct link please?

Try this:

UH boy_Rig.blend (701 KB)

I’ve downloaded it.

It works almost flawlessly. The IK is very nicely done. I thank you heartily, good sir!
If it isn’t too much trouble, I’d be elated if you could generate controls for fingers as well (I need the character to grip stuff), and maybe reduce the weighting of the vertices near the T-shirt neck area (If I rotate his head anymore than 30 degrees either side the shirt & hoodie start going into his body).

Thanks anyway and cheers!

Alright I got finger controls for you! You’ll have to probably do some editing to the geometry and a little weight painting for the fingers. Looks like you have a single edge loop for every joint area in the fingers. It’d be better to have at least two edge loops in the mesh, near each joint. I didn’t want to edit your character though, assumed you had texture maps, etc. I’ll leave that to you if you think it’s needed.

Also fixed the weights around the neck, you’ll still want to maybe use both neck controllers when animating too.

UH boy_Rig.blend (716 KB)

It’s working great! Thanks for all the help, and I’ll look into adding more edge loops for the fingers if it doesn’t become very complicated.

I’m really quite grateful for this :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Yeah no prob! Hope it works out for yah.